Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Company: The Northwest School
Posted on: April 11, 2021
Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Level Experienced
Job Location The Northwest School - Seattle, WA Position Type Full
Time Support Faculty 4 Year Degree Job Category Education
Description The Northwest School is a college-preparatory,
co-educational independent school near the heart of downtown
Seattle. We offer a rich and challenging program to roughly 450
students in grades 6 through 12, including international students,
many of whom live in our campus dormitory. The Northwest School is
committed to a diverse workplace and expects applicants to have a
commitment to equity and social justice. We firmly believe that we
are a richer, more creative, and dynamic institution when our
collective is built with a diverse set of community members. The
Northwest School strives for its faculty and student body to
reflect the diversity of the society in which they exist.
Candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Northwest School seeks a dynamic leader to serve as the Director of
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The Director will be a full-
time, 12-month administrator and member of the senior leadership
team, reporting to the Head of School, and is supported by the
Advancing Equity Team of several professional colleagues. The
School is open to a flexible configuration of this position to
accommodate multiple, part-time employees in this role, depending
on the interest, gifts, and talents of applicants. This position is
scheduled to start on or about July 1, 2021. Responsibilities:
- Strategic Leadership
- Leads the development and implementation of short and long-term
Diversity Strategic Plans and tracks meaningful, measurable
- Collaborates with key administrators to move the school forward
in its goals related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social
- Serves as a resource and advisor to the schools Board of
- Develops community partnerships that offer opportunities for
- In partnership with Director of Environmental Education and
Stewardship and the Director of Global Programs, leads efforts to
further embed these values in our programs and practices.
- Promotes an inclusive institutional structure that guides our
- Inspires open, productive, and challenging conversations around
diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Oversees and sets direction for committees responsible for work
related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Student and Parent and Guardian Engagement
- Actively engages and supports students in their quest to better
understand principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develops and implements programs to foster student knowledge
- Serves as a resource to student and parent groups.
- Participates in school admissions processes to recruit,
support, and sustain a diverse school community.
- Employee Engagement
- Develops and implements professional development programming
around diversity, equity, and inclusion to foster employee
knowledge and practice about diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Collaborates with employees to enhance the integration of
diversity, equity, and inclusion topics in the program, works to
ensure that specific current events fit within existing learning
- Influences and participates in school processes to recruit,
support, and retain a diverse school community. Qualifications
- Demonstrated commitment to the school's mission, values, and
philosophy, especially related to diversity, equity, and inclusion,
and the environment.
- A bachelor's degree and seven years of related experience, or
an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to
perform the essential functions of the job are required.
- Demonstrated commitment to and engagement in topics of
diversity, equity, and inclusion in education and community
- Knowledge and understanding of historical roots of individual,
institutional, and systemic challenges to diversity, equity, and
- Experience working in an educational setting.
- Experience developing and achieving strategic goals as well as
creating programs related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to adapt work and programs to the needs of diverse
audiences that one would expect to encounter in a 6-12 grade
setting. Preferred Qualifications: An ideal candidate will possess
- An advanced Degree.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, communicate, and execute long
term strategic vision.
- The capacity to nurture creative new ideas with practical
- Experience leading community conversations around diversity,
equity, and inclusion.
- Experience developing curriculum, pedagogy, and andragogy for
middle and high school students, as well as adults.
- Demonstrated ability to draw on an organizations history to
inform new programs.
- Initiative. Compensation: Salary is highly competitive with top
independent schools in the region and commensurate with experience.
The Northwest School offers an excellent benefits package which
includes medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability
and life and accident insurance coverage, fully paid for employee
only coverage. A retirement program matches up to 6% of an
employees salary after one year of service in a 403(b) plan.
Generous time off, lunch, access to the on-site fitness facility, a
commitment to professional development, and a unique urban location
are also benefits of working at the Northwest School. We are an
Equal Opportunity Employer that values workplace diversity. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion,
disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status,
genetic information, or marital status.
Keywords: The Northwest School, Seattle , Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Accounting, Auditing , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!