Director of Engineering
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Virtuoso is the leading global travel agency network
specializing in luxury and experiential travel. We bring together
20,000 of the world's most sought-after travel advisors and more
than 2,000 elite travel companies, from five-star hotel groups and
renowned cruise lines to boutique properties and high-end adventure
travel outfitters around the world. Our advisors use their personal
connections and firsthand experience to craft bespoke trips for
clients, including unique experiences, special values,
complimentary perks, VIP treatment and rare access. Position
Summary: Reporting to the VP, Technology, the Director of
Engineering is a key part of the organization's Technology
leadership team. We are seeking a passionate engineering leader who
has experience delivering enterprise-level software solutions and
products in both start-up and large environments. To succeed in
this role, you will need a creative and entrepreneurial approach to
marry corporate strategy and initiatives with the most relevant,
optimal, and appropriate technology processes, as well as
exceptional staff and organization management. You are an engaging
communicator with compelling leadership and management skills. You
are passionate about technology and adept at interacting with
customers, internal stakeholders, and the broader employee
population. You can thrive in a dynamic and rapidly changing
environment and will enjoy communicating and presenting at all
levels of the organization. You are well-versed in contemporary
software engineering practices and principles including agile
development and building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines. This is a
fantastic opportunity to play a significant role in taking Virtuoso
to the next level of engineering advancement during an exciting
time of industry innovation. This position direct ly manages a
single department within the organization . Primary Duties &
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be
- Work directly with the VP, Technology, Director of IT
Operations and Director of Program Management to deliver the
product vision to our customers .
- Build and mentor an efficient and high-performing engineering
- Ensure delivery of products and solutions to our customers at a
high pace and quality. This includes implementing and maintaining
an agile engineering and DevOps environment and culture.
- Be comfortable leading the team from a high-level as well as
rolling up your sleeves and getting deep into the technical details
- Coach, mentor, and groom engineers, team leads, and
- Recruit, motivate, retain, and enhance top-tier Engineering and
- Leverage your experience and leadership to transform existing
functions to drive consistency and efficiency through your
strategies and management.
- Balance a high quality, high-output engineering mindset with
the demands of a high-growth business.
- Drive and foster a positive, inclusive, collaborative, and
results -oriented culture.
- Develop and execute on engineering strategy, architecture, and
product plans while leading engineering teams for both internal and
customer-facing systems to support the business.
- Interact with internal and external customers to collect
requirements, manage expectations, and resolve issues. Requirements
- 10+ years of experience as an engineering leader, preferably
with a combination of big and small company environments, having
managed organizations of 20 people or more.
- Proven track record leading multiple teams delivering and
operating modern SaaS and back-office solutions for enterprise
customers leveraging cloud services (AWS, Azure, and leading cloud
- Enthusiasm for and expertise in implementing and managing an
Agile software development environment with a strong DevOps culture
including experience in one or more of the following: built
large-scale, automated distributed systems, configuration
management, and CI/CD pipeline.
- Strong experience in a .NET engineering environment. Experience
with open source tools and language a plus.
- Experience with database technology, both SQL and NoSQL.
Skills, Abilities, Experience
- Experience and passion for building wicked-awesome end-user
experiences (front-end development, UI/UX passion, digital
platform, etc.) and data management platforms (data warehousing,
event sourcing, data science, analytics, etc.).
- Experience with business process automation/enterprise
- Experience with high scalability, availability, and security
- Champion for, and can execute on, operational efficiency and
- Demonstrated depth in software engineering principles and
implementation with the ability to contribute to low-level software
designs, architecture decisions, code reviews, and solution
- Passion and experience in mentoring and recruiting/team
- Highly collaborative with the ability to work well with peer
leadership and distributed stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to generate decisions through data.
- Ability to prioritize and execute on multiple projects with an
attention to detail.
- Experience delivering high-quality software design and
development including experience with RESTful web services and
microservices. Travel Requirements
- Infrequent travel may be required to attend company events (1-3
trips per year )
- Travel will be entirely domestic. Type & Nature of Contact s
- Internal : Key job contacts are primarily with manager and
director level staff outside of the job's immediate work
- External : Regular contact with external technology vendors,
Virtuoso network and end-users. We offer a competitive salary and
full benefits package, including medical/dental/vision/life, a
company matched 401(k) savings plan, and more. Virtuoso is an equal
opportunity employer, dedicated to promoting a diverse
Keywords: Virtuoso, Seattle , Director of Engineering, Engineering , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!