Senior Backend Engineer (Remote)
Company: Narrative I/O
Posted on: June 25, 2022
About NarrativeNarrative is the leading Data Commerce Platform
making buying and selling data easier than ever before. With a
suite of world-class apps, Narrative's platform is radically
changing a fractured, convoluted landscape fraught with manual
processes, opaque business practices, and middlemen.
What You Will DoWe currently have a marketplace that connects
buyers and sellers of adtech data, and we are building on this
success to make it possible to transact any other kinds of data.As
a result, here are the kinds of projects you will likely work on in
the foreseeable future:
- Make our core systems generic/agnostic to the actual data types
that are being ingested, transacted and delivered. For instance, we
are building Iceberg-backed data puddles, schema/validation tools,
making the transaction process more generic, etc.
- Improve the monitoring and reliability of our systems with the
ever-increasing amount of data being handled (over 500GB per
- Extract abstractions, modularize the code and improve the
- Enhance the API we expose to partners and increasingly rely on
it for internal use, in order to "eat our own dog food".
Technical StackIn a nutshell, our technical stack looks like:
- Backend: Big Data, scala, AWS, spark, cats, cats-effect, http4s
- Ops: EC2, Fargate, Lambda, Terraform, EMR, DynamoDB, S3, RDS,
Step Functions, Jenkins, and Datadog
Read more about our technical stack here:
The Ideal CandidateWe are not looking for a 100% fit on all the
technology buzzwords, but we are looking for someone with strong
personal and technical skills who is eager to pick up new
technologies as necessary. We are obviously going to expect much
more from a senior candidate than we would from a junior one.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have experience in a typed functional language such as Scala,
F# or Haskell, or significant experience in their non-functional
equivalents (Java, C#) with an interest in Scala and Functional
- Have experience working with non-trivial quantities of data. As
of this writing, our ingestion pipelines are handling something on
the order of 500GB .snappy.parquet files per day. Prior work with
Spark would be ideal, but experience with similar MapReduce-based
technologies would also be helpful.
- Have experience operating in a cloud environment like Amazon
Web Services, Google Compute Engine, or similar.
- Be able to work across all aspects of back end systems, from
application code to SQL to systems administration.
- Not be afraid of contributing to the entire stack (from the UI
to Devops) when the need arises.
- Have strong experience using a version management system and
continuous integration (CI) development process. We use Git/Github
for version management and Gitlab for our CI pipelines.
- Have the ability to lead the creation of architectural and
design documents, collect requirements as well as feedback from the
development and product teams and evaluate new technologies as
- Be able to transform product designs into coherent, working and
robust code solutions.
- Communicate potential technical issues to relevant teams and
adapt to changing requirements.
- Be able to interface with technical and non-technical team
members in order to bring business ideas to fruition.
- Be mindful of the compromises that need to be done to be
reactive on the business side while keeping the systems manageable
in the long run.
- Live/work within +/- 3 hours of EST
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits...we may be a
small company now, but we still know what's important!
- Flexible work location-come to the office to collaborate with
the team in-person, or work from home on the days you need to
- Unlimited paid time off
- Great people: Surround yourself with a team of people that has
a shared vision and focus, lots of drive, but likes to have fun
along the way.
- Great experience: Be a core part of a growing, quickly evolving
business. Learn fast, fail fast, and grow your skillset every step
of the way.
- Equity: Have some skin in the game and grow with the
Narrative provides equal employment opportunities to all employees
and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and
harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion,
age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local
laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of
employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion,
termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,
compensation, and training.
Keywords: Narrative I/O, Seattle , Senior Backend Engineer (Remote), Engineering , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!