New Grad - D3 - Junior Data Engineer
Posted on: February 15, 2019
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.Job Description Job Family Summary The Data, Discovery and Decision Science (D3) department leverages data & analytics to help the enterprise understand the best course of action to deliver on our corporate priorities, improve our business processes to gain operational efficiency and better equip our agencies and employees with the tools and insights necessary to better serve our customers and live into our customer value proposition.
Data Analytics incorporates techniques from many disciplines, including data acquisition, computer programming, data engineering, software development, high performance computing, and traditional business expertise, with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should wish to be experts in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end products to optimize future decisions. Successful individuals demonstrate significant analytic agility, and quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as they evolve. The Junior Data Engineer role is responsible for working with clients to create scaled out business solutions and/or data using best practices, appropriate tools and software to provide documented, trusted and actionable results. This role requires analytic agility and the ability to quickly learn new techniques and technologies. Job Summary D3: Data, Discovery & Decision Science is the research and analytics organization for Allstate. Our mission is to enable, through analytics, the delivery of perfect insurance solutions to our customers. This is an entry level role with a target start date in January 2019 or Summer 2019. This role is responsible for the development of data infrastructure, business solutions, and proof of concept to help D3 achieve its mission. This includes creating new and maintaining existing data acquisition processes from inception to fully developed solutions. This role requires close integration and partnership with business, and a high degree of business acumen is needed to output the best technical solutions. To be successful in this role, a person should establish themselves as a subject matter expert.Key Responsibilities:
- Utilize multidisciplinary approach to Data Analytic problems to combine technical, analytics and business knowledge.
- Demonstrate high degree of analytic agility to meet fluid and dynamic business needs.
- Break down business problems into solvable components to recommend solutions.
- Use a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., Python, C++, Java, Scala, SQL).
- Rapid development of new data and analytics prototypes.
- Develop and deliver data infrastructure to enable advanced analytics.
- Explore data sources to better understand the availability and quality of data.
- Document available data sources and how they are being transformed.
- Embrace an environment that supports innovation and process improvement.
- Disseminate knowledge across the team. Qualifications
- Target Start date: January 2019 or Summer 2019
- Pursuing and will complete a bachelor s degree in computer science, mathematics, or equivalent.
- Master's or PhD in these fields is a plus.
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, C++, Java, Scala, SQL
- Some familiarity with the hadoop ecosystem desired.
- Experience with Bash or Korn Shell Scripting desired.
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and related technology (R, SAS, Matlab) is a plus.
- Demonstrated analytic agility and problem solving skills.
- Ability and desire to learn new languages and technologies.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Solid written and oral communication skills.
- Desire to share and inform others. This position is posted in multiple locations, please apply to the location you are most interested in.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen. Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands(r).
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video . Department: Data Science & Analytics - provided by Dice Bash, Development, Hadoop, HTTP, Java, Matlab, Programming, Python, Research, SAS, Shell Scripting, SQL, Video
Keywords: Allstate, Seattle , New Grad - D3 - Junior Data Engineer, Engineering , Bothell, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!