Director of Operations
Company: Washington State Convention Center
Posted on: January 17, 2020
Director of Operations
Starting Salary: $100,000 or DOE
Supervisor: Vice President of Operations
The following is a summary of the general nature and level of work
performed by the staff member in this position. This description is
not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be
assigned at the Washington State Convention Center Public
Facilities District (WSCC).
This position will be open until filled. Review of applications
will begin immediately.
The Director of Operations will provide leadership and direction
for facilities operations, and management to include the safe
execution of custodial and set-up operations. Plan, organize and
direct a full range of activities and ensure the delivery of
first-class customer service. Responsible for carrying out setup,
event maintenance, and strike of facility event spaces in direct
support of and based upon the requirements for short and long-term
events in coordination with all WSCC Departments. Manage four
classifications of both supervisory and non-supervisory staff
performing event support operations. Develop and oversee the
Department's operating purchases, projects and budgets, and
Responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall management, leadership and direction for event
operations to include event setup, event support, event custodial,
and strike operations.
- Responsible for the oversight, management and delivery of
training for Assistant Director, managers, supervisors and staff.
Support a work environment that promotes teamwork, performance
feedback, recognition, mutual respect and employee engagement while
ensuring compliance with company policies, labor agreement and
- Monitor and evaluate department operations with the aim of
developing ideas and activities that will allow the staff to plan
projects and perform all necessary functions in the most creative,
cost effective and efficient methods.
- Develop organizational directives, policies and procedures for
operating programs effectively in the area of event
- Participate in the research, development, evaluation and
implementation of new products, services, technology and process to
ensure the Center's competitive position and in anticipation of
changing customer needs within the dynamic convention and meetings
- Coordinate department activities in conjunction with contracted
event services providers, including electrical, audio visual,
telecom/connectivity and exhibitor services desk.
- Coordinate operations closely with the Director of Security and
Public Safety for alignment with all fire life safety & emergency
and prevention plans, operations and procedures.
The work schedule for this position typically fluctuates based upon
the needs of events or projects, which would require the ability to
work a flexible schedule including late nights, early mornings,
long days, weekends and holidays.
This position directly supervises the Assistant Director of
Operations, Administrative Assistant, Sustainability Manager,
Managers (Day, Swing, Night), Supervisors (Day, Swing, Night) and
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university
and five years related experience and/or training; equivalent
combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in MS Office and MS Windows environments
- Familiar with various software systems (event management,
floorplans and drafting, inventory management, and incident
tracking/reporting), as well as user administrations within these
types of applications
- Customer-focused, team player who can effectively lead a team
with a positive attitude in accordance with Quality Service
Program, Employee Recognition, and WSCC Mission, Vision and Service
- Passion for operational excellence and success
- Recognizes when external perspective, expertise, services or
leverage are appropriate and develops strong working relationships
with outside contractors and resources
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to produce
clear and well-organized documents
- Ability to effectively plan, prioritize, document, and
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze and
understand business practices, elicit and define requirements, and
identify appropriate solutions and options
- Strong situational awareness and conflict resolution
- Conduct that fosters productive team-oriented relationships
with supervisors, peers, staff and external contractors and
- This position will be open until filled. Review of applications
will begin immediately.
- Resumes may be included, but not substituted for the
Application for Employment or Structured Questionnaire.
- The applicant is responsible for submitting the completed
Application for Employment and Structured Questionnaire. Providing
incomplete documentation may delay action or disqualify the
- The final hiring process involves employment reference checks
and a criminal background check.
- If accommodations are required to complete the application
and/or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (206)
- Washington State Convention Center is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Washington State Convention Center, Seattle , Director of Operations, Executive , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!