Senior Manager - Human Rights
Company: Nordstrom Inc.
Posted on: April 10, 2021
As a senior-level leader you will be partnering with senior
level executives to skillfully develop strategy and plans that will
contribute to the achievement of our brand promise, business goals,
drive value and deliver on our Nordstrom 2025 Human Rights
commitments. The ideal candidate has a unique blend of Human Rights
and Social Impact subject matter expertise, manufacturing industry
experience, stakeholder management, project management, and
problem-solving skills. They take ownership and move with speed to
deliver value to our customers, employees industry partners and
community-based organizations. Additionally, they bring our
commitments and goals to life for our customers, helping our
external stakeholders understand our commitment to human rights and
particularly women in the global fashion supply chain. This
individual is motivated, results-oriented and committed to
providing outstanding customer service every day. This individual
is data driven, collaborative, and finds value in working in a
cross functional and matrixed environment. As the Senior Manager,
you are a key player on the CSR team and responsible for leading
and executing on Nordstrom's Human Rights strategy with a special
focus on developing a living wage road map and creating a pathway
to 90% traceability of all of our Nordstrom Made products back to
their factory of origin. You partner with a team of human rights
and environmental experts to ensure Nordstrom facilities are
operating in alignment with international--labor--and human rights
standards, and that our brand partners are supported in their
efforts to protect and enhance the working experiences for workers
- Human Rights & Workplace Standards Strategist - has skills and
deep expertise in our two impact areas of ethical working practices
and women's empowerment but also has understanding and experience
in international standards for human rights and knowledgeable about
how to safeguard human rights throughout our supply chain, with a
focus on our supplier operations and facilities.
- People Leader - can lead a functional team of human rights
expertise while also seamlessly moving through other parts of the
company to build engagement and support.
- Drives Vision - ability to interpret business goals/vision and
translate into a strategy and executional plan that is grounded in
a deep understanding of our Nordstrom brand, CSR goals, business,
people and culture.
- Thought Leadership - seen as the human rights and ethic expert,
provides an informed opinion and is seen as a trusted advisor.
Connects the dots on the external landscape and makes
recommendations on how Nordstrom should show up. --Can--inspire
others with innovative actionable approaches and knows how to
- Consult Leaders - can influence the most senior levels of
leadership and has the courage to provide direct and actionable
sustainability counseling to executives.
- Impact Measurement - has skills and the ability to identify
intended impact of operational decisions and process changes. Can
track progress overtime through quantitative and qualitative
- Manages Complexity - can understand complex ideas or problems,
works to identify the root cause and can synthesize and formulate
an understandable and executable CSR solution.
- Operates at Multiple Levels - can operate at a strategic big
picture level and has the curiosity to understand, coach and manage
the fine details. Can seamlessly work with a variety of teams on a
single project to bring together complex programs and
- Develops and manages direct reports and expects excellence -
understands team's individual skills, contributions and areas of
development. Provides direct feedback, coaching, inspiration and
motivation to engage and retain talent.
- Change Leadership - can navigate, lead and drive
cross-functional change and business transformations.
- Commitment to Social Justice - has deep appreciation for the
diversity of the communities we serve and the programs that we
operate and fund. Brings a lens of equity to and social justice to
investments and programs for partners and employees. A day in the
- Drives, implements and oversees programs, plans and measurable
goals to support current and future Nordstrom corporate social
responsibility efforts with specific focus on human rights and
ethical working practices.
- Manages initiatives, reports results, and makes recommendations
based on risk mitigation, brand building, reputation, opportunities
to drive sales, generate impact and other factors.
- Leads engagement with business leaders and subject matter
experts on specific projects relating to CSR to coordinate
strategies, plans and follow through on tactical efforts. Builds
and supports connections across teams to create buy-in and drive
programs and projects.
- Advises and guides efforts by other teams to incorporate human
rights and women's empowerment into projects and planning.
- Responds to business leaders, customer and stakeholder
inquiries about ethical working practices and our efforts.
- Manages all company human rights partnerships and
collaborations, information and data and acts as resource for team
and company leaders-- takes complex information and develops clear
stories and outcomes.
- Derives value for Nordstrom through relationships and
opportunities identified through increased external partners and
- Leads measurement and evaluation process for annual reporting
and benchmarking surveys.
- Provides support to Executive briefings and governance needs
for JWN board of directors re: CSR goals and priorities
- Manage program budgets for JWN, expense journals and
forecasting, ensuring accuracy and compliance You own this if...
- A Bachelor's degree in human rights or social impact or related
field/equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in sustainability, climate
impacts, waste reduction, circularity, or similar field
- You have strong knowledge of understanding of apparel supply
chain with experience working with factories in the US and abroad;
social and environmental audit experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with human rights standards and organizations
including Fair Trade, Fair Labor Association, SA800, SMETA, WRAP,
- Strong business acumen with exceptional strategic thinking and
project management skills.
- Adept at prioritizing and planning multi-stakeholder
initiatives, providing direction when needed and removing obstacles
to get work done.
- Proven experience in partnering with Diversity and Inclusion
leaders to delivery against company priorities and support partner
organizations in their impact.
- Ability to create effective relationships, influence, and
collaborate at all organizational levels.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability
to lead, facilitate, and present to large groups.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
required. Our employees are our most important asset and that's
reflected in our benefits.--Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety
of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources A few more important
points... The job posting highlights the most critical
responsibilities and requirements of the job. It's not
all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and
qualifications for this job. Nordstrom will consider qualified
applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all
legal requirements. Applicants with disabilities who require
assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom
location, which can be identified at-- www.nordstrom.com .--
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the
Careers button and then click Find Jobs. Posted 5 Days Ago Full
time R-250163 About Us We're a fast-moving fashion company that
empowers our people to be innovative, creative and always focused
on providing the best service to our customers. The retail industry
is rapidly changing, and we have interesting, complex problems to
solve every day - from developing cutting-edge technology and
opening new stores, to designing fresh, must-have fashion.--
Whether you're a genius engineer, a phenomenal salesperson or a
supply chain guru, we invite you to bring your unique talents and
join our team. We've been on the Fortune--- 100 Best Places to Work
list for more than 20 years because we reward great work, promote
from within and celebrate diversity.-- Our values are the core of
who we are. They inspire our employees, delight our customers and
bring our business to life every day. CUSTOMER OBSESSED
We strive to know our customers better than anyone else. We listen,
anticipate, build trust and move with speed to deliver on their
needs. OWNERS AT HEART
We treat every interaction as an opportunity to make an impact and
deliver excellence.-- CURIOUS AND EVER CHANGING
We approach problems with curiosity and create solutions. We unlock
potential to be bold, think big and inspire innovation.-- HERE TO
We're committed to delivering results, both today and tomorrow. We
win as a team by supporting and challenging one another to be
better every day. WE EXTEND OURSELVES
We treat each other with respect and kindness. We do the small
things that make a big difference. We create a welcoming
environment, helping people feel connected, valued and part of one
Keywords: Nordstrom Inc., Seattle , Senior Manager - Human Rights, Executive , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!