Divisional Vice President, Co-op Communications and Community
Company: Recreational Equipment, Inc.
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Divisional Vice President, Co-op Communications and CommunityThe
Co-op's long term vision is to build a 50M member community,
engaged and amplifying collective impact. Marketing's role is to
increase the size and impact of the Co-op by 1) amplifying REI's
core brand mission and 2) building life-long relationships
withemployees, customers, members, communities and partners to
enable the brand purpose and live brand values every day.The Co-op
is looking for an experienced communications leader who is excited
to work for an organization with a quadruple bottom-line and who
will lead and build a world class communications and employee
engagement organization to promote, enhance, and protect the REI
brand reputation across all stakeholders. This leader will have the
opportunity to 1) lead and shape communications for one of the most
authentic brands in the United States, 2) play a critical role in
reimagining employee engagement and communications at the Coop, and
3) evolve and hone the vision, strategy, and operating model for
the Communications and Community Center of Excellence.The
Divisional Vice President of Co-op Communications and Community
contributes to REI's success by developing and implementing
comprehensive communication and strategies for the Co-op, leading
the strategic development and execution of top-level, integrated,
communications and engagement activities for all stakeholders, both
internal and external, including employee, media and outdoor
industry, and society. Leads and provides oversight to internal
communications, external communications, and employee engagement
and recognition. Collaborates with marketing, brand strategy,
corporate strategy, government affairs, digital, retail,
merchandising, Co-op brands, sustainability and impact efforts,
co-op media team, human resources and senior leadership to drive
consistency and execution across all touchpoints. Represents the
communications, and employee events and recognition division and
its business requirements for cross-divisional strategic planning
and prioritization. Models and acts in accordance with REI's
guiding values and mission. Leading the Way
- As a member of the Leadership Forum, develops a deep
understanding of, effectively communicates and broadly supports
execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Translates company strategies into actionable divisional plans
and executes successful delivery.
- Works cross-divisionally to drive execution of specific
divisional and company strategies, initiatives and projects.
- Strengthens retail staff's access and connection to leadership
through annual store visits and district conference calls; drives
engagement and builds trust in REI's leaders.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices
to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude,
confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures,
methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and
indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective
employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to
employees in order to achieve department, company and customer
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture
where people can do their best.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and
issues, and takes appropriate action. Your Planning & Navigating
- Accountable for leading and developing a world-class team to
create integrated, cross-divisional communications and engagement
strategies that draw together multiple divisions, spanning the
creative to operational spectrum.
- Develops next generation comms and employee engagement leaders
- Develops long-range communications strategies and goals that
support the REI corporate vision and strategy.
- Ensures brand consistency and execution across all channels and
- Drafts CEO media responses and prepares CEO speaking points for
- Develops executive communications strategy and plan for senior
- Advise executives, communications leaders, and divisions on
- Integrates change management principles and methodologies into
strategies and plans, providing subject matter expertise on the
people side of change and building communication strategies that
maximize employee adoption and minimize resistance.
- Identify emerging topics, leading rapid and effective response.
Positions the co-op effectively in response to issues,
opportunities and threats and is proactive in efforts to guide
business actions that reflect REI's values and key stakeholder
- Leads the co-op's crisis communication process.
- Collaborate with marketing, brand and co-op media teams to
align communications strategies; support regional needs and align
to key brand messages.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with national and
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside public
relations partners and agencies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with communications leaders
across the outdoor industry.
- Responsible for the evaluation and continuous improvement of
the strategies and tactics used to meet organizational goals and
objectives that deliver a strong impact. Bring your passion and
- 15+ years of progressively responsible leadership of
communications teams including at least 7 years in a leadership
role managing multiple teams.
- Ideally has had responsibility working in a role directly
representing and/or impacting employee communications and
- Must possess strong communication skills, both verbal and
written including the ability to translate strategy into action to
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines,
unpredictability and on multiple priorities.
- Exceptional media relations skills with proven experience of
positive results from working with national-level press.
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles,
methodologies and tools.
- Strong influencing skills to promote dialogue and achieve
buy-in across various constituencies.
- Demonstrated track record of employing exceptional judgment in
decision-making and all working relationships. Demonstrates strong
emotional intelligence in interactions, negotiations and
- Communications experience in a multi-channel retail company
with revenue of $2B+.
- Proven experience in counselling and influencing senior
- Expertise in both traditional and emerging media and
communications; technology savvy and demonstrated practical
experience working with new media and internet communications.
- Experience selecting, giving direction to and managing an
advertising agency relationship.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate a compelling vision
- Demonstrated success planning, leading and consulting on change
- Experience in employee engagement, advocacy, philanthropy, and
developing brand actions are a plus. #LI-CW1 As required by
applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of minimum
compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these
requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual
salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your
specific skills and experience, geographic location or other
relevant factors. The salary range for this position may be lower
or higher in different markets. The pay for this role is: At REI we
offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has
recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's
inception - 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it's
balanced with time off to play-a strategy that works for us as we
continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you
can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that
challenges you? This is the place. With more than 160 retail
locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to
its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and
apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to
help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement
plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance,
paid sabbaticals, and more.
Keywords: Recreational Equipment, Inc., Seattle , Divisional Vice President, Co-op Communications and Community, Executive , Issaquah, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!