Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Company: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit, unified
adult cancer care and research center that is clinically integrated
with UW Medicine, a world leader in clinical care, research and
learning. The first National Cancer Institute-designated cancer
center in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Hutch's global leadership in
bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy,
and COVID-19 vaccines has confirmed our reputation as one of the
world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research
centers. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care
sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton
therapy, and related services, and network affiliations with
hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research
and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures for the world's
deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and
rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our
mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek
employees -who bring -different and innovative -ways of seeing the
world and solving problems. -Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming
an antiracist organization. -We -are committed to ensuring that all
candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, -antiracism,
and inclusion. - - -
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is seeking a seasoned professional to
lead our Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) department. The
Director will be responsible for providing services to Center
programs and employees in the areas of Radiation Safety, Employee
Health, Industrial Hygiene, Hazardous Materials Management,
Workers' Compensation, Occupational Health (Nurses) and Health and
The Director reports to the Vice President of Facilities and Campus
Operations, overseeing all EH&S programs in compliance with
federal, state and local regulations. The successful candidate will
play a key role in developing, implementing and administering
EH&S programs and policies consistent with Center Mission
Statement, Statement of Values, and Strategic Goals. The incumbent
will be responsible for selecting, developing, and evaluating
personnel to ensure the efficient operation of all EH&S
- Ensures compliance with regulations enforced through DOSH, EPA,
DOH, DOE, and other government Agencies.
- Manages activities, budget and staff of the Radiation Safety,
Employee Health, Workers' Compensation, Industrial Hygiene,
Hazardous Materials Management and Health, Fire and Life Safety,
Emergency Preparedness, Business Continuity and Safety Training
sections of the Center and SCCA.
- Recommends corrective actions to mitigate risk and accident
occurrence; interpret and advise organization compliance based on
internal policies and external regulations.
- Ensures 24-hour emergency and spill response coverage for the
Center and SCCA as well as continuing education and drills for the
- Plans, develops, and directs the personnel within the
Environmental, Health and Safety function of the organization.
- Recognizes, evaluates, recommends and implements policies and
procedures to assure awareness of and compliance with regulatory
- Promotes communication programs to enhance and encourage
employee awareness of accident and fire prevention, industrial
hygiene and environmental compliance.
- Represents the Center in dealing with regulatory agencies,
other organizations, and the public concerning EH&S
- Advocates socially and environmentally responsible regulatory
policy changes and development which favor Center operations and
- Manages budget for EH&S staff and services as well as
service agreements for contracted services.
- Relates to peers in the Center management team.
- Support collaboration between Center and Alliance colleagues
- Works directly with the Vice President of Facilities and Campus
Operations on specific program initiatives.
- Serves as a member on all safety committees for the Center and
the IACUC. Also serves as a member of the Environment of Care and
Health & Safety committees for the outpatient clinic.
- Participates in planning activities of the Center, developing
plans for assigned services that are an integral part of Center
strategic plan which includes objectives, schedules and
- Provides guidance and leadership direction to management and
professional personnel in handling personnel issues and ensuring
adherence to Center policies and procedures. -
- Ensures administrative support and reporting structure for
Center's Radiation, Biosafety, and Health & Safety
- Assists managers and supervisors in developing corrective
action plans and provides direction and accountability in
monitoring progress toward defined targets.
- Creates a working environment that promotes positive employee
behaviors, effective communications, collaboration, creativity,
optimal productivity and that recognizes individual, team and
Center-wide accomplishments. Establish effective communication and
collaborative problem solving in interdepartmental working
- Attracts, retains, and develops key people who contribute
significantly to the growth and success of the Center. Evaluate the
performance of staff directly accountable to this
- Takes appropriate action to reward, recognize, discipline or
terminate employment in accordance with organizational
- Collaborates with Human Resources in following Center policies
- Demonstrates accountability for own growth and competency.
Participate in and seek out opportunities and activities that
provide for continuing education, skills development and
self-improvement. This includes Center and professional
requirements for annual training and education.
- M.S. in Environmental, Public Health or Safety Engineering or
related fields and more than 10 years experience with at least
three years management experience in health care and/or lab
setting. Ph.D. preferred and more than 5 years experience.
- Knowledge and application of federal, state and local
regulations as pertaining to EH&S in a scientific/healthcare
- Ability to lead a diverse workforce, work in and lead a team,
and provide an effective and efficient work environment. -
- Ability to successfully manager and prepare budgets as well as
service agreements for contracted services.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. -
- Understanding of industrial hygiene, physical safety, radiation
safety, biosafety, workers' compensation, infection control,
healthcare immunization requirements, fire safety, emergency
preparedness, chemical hygiene, hazardous materials transportation
and disposal, and business continuity.
- Experience in designing and developing EH&S policies and
In addition to job duties at Fred Hutch, this position also
requires access to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, which requires
COVID-19 vaccination without exceptions.Accordingly, as a condition
of employment for this Fred Hutch position, newly hired employees
must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward
greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career
or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested
of all finalists.
Our Commitment to DiversityWe are proud to be an Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance
Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace
in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and
respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability
(physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic
information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political
ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We
are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with
diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of
protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and
or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting
process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at
email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.
Keywords: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle , Director, Environmental Health and Safety, Executive , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!