Mid-Level Avionics Engineer - Flight Management System
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Job DescriptionAt Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make
the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can
contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity,
equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to
fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming,
respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional
growth. Find your future with us.
- Are you passionate about aviation, space and autonomous
- Do you want to be in the heart of the action?
- Are you curious about how modern transport category airplanes
are operated and fly?
- Are you curious about automatic flight?
- Do you want to increase your functional knowledge of pilot &
airplane operations, and flight deck human factors considerations
while working on complex integrated airplane systems?
- Are you excited about spending a significant amount of time in
airplane simulators, and on flight tests?
- Do you want to be multi-disciplinary and/or interface with
multiple groups such as other engineering disciplines, pilots,
airlines customers, regulators, business operations, suppliers,
airplane programs, logistics and senior leadership?
- Do you want to use and develop your communication,
interpersonal and presentation skills?
- Do you want to launch your career in aerospace while being
mentored by a passionate team of engineers that will make the time
to ensure you develop the skills & knowledge to be successful?
- Do you want to be guided by a phenomenal management team that
will be relentlessly invested in your career development?
- Do you want to have fun?
If you answered yes, then this role might be for you. The Flight
Management System (FMS) team at Boeing Commercial Airplanes is
seeking passionate and energetic multi-disciplinary Mid-Level
Avionics Engineers to join the team in defining and building the
future of flight at Everett, WA, Renton, WA and Seattle, WA. The
FMS team is looking to fill multiple openings at the mid-career
level. These are high visibility, high performance roles with the
opportunity for rapid technical advancement and leadership
The Flight Management System (FMS) is a fundamental component of a
modern transport airplanes. An FMS is a specialized computer system
that automates a wide variety of in-flight tasks, reducing the
workload on the flight crew to the point that modern transport
aircraft no longer need to carry flight engineers or navigators.
The FMS provides and/or automates Flight Planning, Datalink,
Guidance, Navigation, Performance and Thrust Management
As an FMS specialist, you will work under the guidance of
experienced engineers to understand and operate the FMS, review and
develop FMS functional and performance requirements, test, verify &
validate the FMS, document, review and resolve system issues/bugs,
conduct re-tests, understand and identify potential safety issues,
non-conformances, and directly support and participate in
development, test and certification activities.
You can expect to interface with engineers from all FMS functions,
engineers in multiple disciplines such as hardware, software,
interfacing airplane systems such as airplane displays, flight
control computers, auto throttle, communications management
(HF/VHF/SATCOM), navigation systems (GPS, inertial, radio), Engine
Controls, Stall Management, Weather Radar, Ground Proximity Warning
System and even the in-flight entertainment system!
You will work directly with a global, multicultural team of
engineers as well as pilots, airline customers, suppliers,
regulators, internal stakeholders such as lab operations, flight
operations, logistics, financial operations, features strategy,
various business units and leadership for all Boeing commercial and
military airplane programs.
You will conduct testing at Boeing airplane systems laboratories
which house airplane simulators as well as at Boeing Field to
support flight tests. Domestic and international travel may be
required to support activities such as airplane customer visits,
airshows and flight tests. You may even be asked to support exotic
activities such as flight tests to the Polar Regions and to remote
locations anywhere in the world.
On the FMS team, we believe the best way to learn about the FMS is
to interact with and operate it. The Flight Management System is
the primary interface of the crew with cockpit systems in order to
perform its mission. Therefore, to develop and test the system
means to perform pilot operations, think like a pilot, test in our
virtual simulators, on our system test benches, airplane simulators
and participate in flight tests where you can see and "feel" the
FMS fly the airplane. To that effect, we strongly emphasize that
persons starting on our team begin their journey in this area. We
are confident in our ability to provide career experiences that
will keep you excited and make you want to be an FMS
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate
will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location
- Develop and validate hardware and software system functional
and software requirements
- Support the design of hardware, software and interface
- Tests and validates to ensure system designs meet operational
and functional requirements
- Develop tests to evaluate system
- Monitors supplier performance to ensure system integration and
compliance with requirements
- Solves problems concerning fielded hardware and software over
the entire product lifecycle
- Researches specific technology advances for potential
application to company business needs
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements,
therefore a "US Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. - 120.15 is
required. "US Person" includes US Citizen, lawful permanent
resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an ABET accredited course of
study in engineering, computer science or related field.
- 3+ years of experience in Avionics engineering.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited course of study
in electrical, aerospace and computer engineering is
- Avionics, Systems Engineering and/or FMS familiarity
- Experience with hardware and software design
- Experience with model based development tools
- Experience working with cross functional teams
- Previous aerospace work experience
- Piloting experience (private/commercial pilot's license)
- Familiarity with engineering processes and methods
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Knowledge of FAA / EASA certification
- Strong passion or interest in aviation and space
- Microsoft Flight Simulator/VATSIM experience (yes, the
Typical Education/ Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical
education from an accredited course of study in engineering,
computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor)
and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an
equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g.
PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET
accreditation is the preferred, although not required,
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing -is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and
employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids,
amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in
Shift: This position is for 1st shift
This role is union representedEqual Opportunity Employer:Boeing is
an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made
without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender,
sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental
disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other
characteristics protected by law.
Keywords: BOEING, Seattle , Mid-Level Avionics Engineer - Flight Management System, Executive , Pacific, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!