PROGRAM MANAGER, FITNESS
Company: University of Washington
Posted on: January 26, 2023
If you are using a screen reader and experience any difficulty
accessing our web pages, please call 206-543-2544 or email UWHires
and we will be happy to assist you. jump to content Salary: Salary
and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with
qualifications and experience. Shift: First Shift Notes: As a UW
employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.
For a complete description of our benefits for this position,
please visit our website, click here.
Priority will be given to those who apply by December 4th, 2022. As
a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our
campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer
their boundless energy, creative problem-solving skills and
dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional
growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted
for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and
The UW Bothell: Student Affairs has an outstanding opportunity for
a Program Manager to join their team.
The Program Manager of Fitness is responsible for the development,
implementation and administration of a diverse and comprehensive
fitness and wellness program and fitness center operations within
the Activities & Recreation Center (ARC). This position is
responsible for the day-to-day operations of Fitness including
hiring, training and providing supervision to student staff. In
addition, the position will respond to the changing needs and
values of UW Bothell's and Cascadia College's increasingly
multicultural and underrepresented student population.
This position promotes and facilitates effective communication and
collaboration across the department, division, university and
community partners. This position is key to the development and
implementation of programs and services that support student
retention. Recreational programs are developed to attract and
retain students, leading to student success and satisfaction. All
these programs are key to building student loyalty to the
institution and for building an engaging campus community. This
position has a direct impact on maintaining safe programs and
facilities for the campus and developing programming that is
focused on student development and learning. Fitness programming
promotes leadership, community, holistic wellness, innovation, and
resiliency that positively impacts the campus for building an
engaging campus community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Management and Student Advising
- Plan, administer, execute, and assess a comprehensive Group
Fitness program and Personal Training program as well as additional
specialty Fitness programs that are aligned with best practices and
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations and effective
management of fitness programming and fitness center operations,
inclusive of supervising the maintenance and repairs of fitness
- Inventory and track equipment warranties and work with
university approved vendors for preventative maintenance. Oversee
the Asset Management system for tracking and reporting; Works with
Director to maintain equipment life cycling plans and capital
improvement plans and projects.
- Recruits, hires, trains, schedules, supervises, and continually
evaluate student staff; develops and maintains strong customer
service skills of student staff, applying advising techniques and
knowledge of the student development process in identifying support
resources and services appropriate to student needs.
- Oversee and teach the Group Fitness Instructor Training program
each quarter; Teach group fitness classes and conduct personal
training appointments with clients as needed.
- Advise students individually on implementing fitness related
programs and training and providing front-line advocacy and
support; Provide managerial and leadership experiences, and
additionally create and promote professional development
opportunities for student staff.
- Respond to the changing needs and values of UW Bothell's and
Cascadia College's increasingly multicultural and underrepresented
- Develop, assess, and revise learning outcomes for student staff
and the program under the direction of the Director of the
Activities & Recreation Center.
- Actively communicate and market all programs through print
media, electronic media, social media, special events and other
efforts as appropriate, including participation in new student
orientation sessions and various tabling events.
- Assist with special events hosted by the department and be a
strong liaison and partner for collaborative health and wellness
programming across campus.
Administrative and Risk Management
- Responsible for risk management including the appropriate
training of employees and users, assessing the condition of
facilities and equipment within established parameters, designs and
implements experiences for persons of all abilities, backgrounds,
- Ensure safety procedures are followed and enforced within the
Fitness Center and programs; oversee policy and procedures for all
operations of fitness center and programming
- Coordinate and administer a comprehensive risk management plan
for fitness staff, including conducting regular audits, ensuring
programs and equipment are operating according to industry
standards and best practices.
- Educate and empower students and staff to improve risk
management practices, including understanding and navigating
departmental policies, institutional procedures, and protocols put
in place to proactively mitigate risk.
- Prepare, monitor, and reconcile annual budget, program and
equipment purchases, partnership agreements, etc.; Responsible for
ordering, maintaining, inventory, and secure storage of equipment
and services related to program area.
- Ensure programmatic data analytics and provide periodic
participation and revenue reports.
- Administer fitness programming component of recreation
Other duties as assigned
- Participate as a member of the departmental emergency response
- Assist in the overall evaluation of the Activities & Recreation
- Serve and participate on university committees as
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelors in Recreation, kinesiology, sports
management/administration, or a related field such as physiology,
biomechanics, nutrition, fitness, health promotion.
- A minimum of two years of experience coordinating a fitness
program in a collegiate or community setting.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum
qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a
- Detailed oriented, highly organized individual who can
multitask and the ability to deal with a variety of situations and
people in a respectable manner.
- Team oriented with excellent communication and leadership
- Possess an understanding of student development philosophy as
it relates to recreation and wellness on a university campus and a
knowledge of current trends in fitness and campus
- Work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to think creatively to develop Group Fitness and
personal training programming opportunities
- Master's Degree from accredited intuition in Recreation,
Kinesiology, or related field within campus recreation
- Demonstrated proficiency in qualifications listed.
- Experience managing staff and working in higher
- Understanding of an alignment with the University, Divisional,
and Departmental mission, vision, and values.
- Accredited Group Fitness Certification, or obtain within 6
months of hire
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED certifications, or obtain within 6
months of hire
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- A work schedule that fluctuates due to after-hours activities,
meetings, and events is common.
- The Program Manager is expected to attend major student
activities and events held on campus and in the local
- The Program Manager has regular and frequent contact with
students, as well as frequent contact with faculty, staff, and
- The position requires evening and weekend commitments
throughout the year.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of
a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information
that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may
include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any
assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as
soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an
assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not
complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next
time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it
later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are
ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and
you will not be considered for this position until all required
assessments have been completed.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to
disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or
current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their
current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required
under Washington state law .
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the
University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives
and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and
maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive,
equitable and welcoming.To request disability accommodation in the
application process, contact the Disability Services Office at
206-543-6450 or email@example.com .COVID-19 VACCINATION
REQUIREMENTEmployees of the University of Washington are required
to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or
religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that
an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an
authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment,
newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their
COVID-19 vaccination. View the Final candidate guide to COVID-19
vaccination requirement webpage for information about the medical
or religious exemption process for final candidates.
Keywords: University of Washington, Seattle , PROGRAM MANAGER, FITNESS, Executive , Bothell, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!