Center Store Specialist (Grocery Category Manager)-, Retail Support Center
Company: Metropolitan Market
Posted on: September 15, 2019
Job Summary: This key role is responsible for product selection,
vendor management, pricing, food safety, sales planning, and
merchandising for assigned Center Store categories (Grocery,
Frozen, Dairy, HBW, and GM). This position develops and executes
highly productive category strategies as well as manages category
financials through pricing, driving cost improvements, securing
trade funds, and intelligently managing buying/inventory for
Specific Job Duties:
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the
- Effectively performs category management functions; determines
sets, item selection, and pricing to achieve maximum profitability
and sales goals; partners with the Schematic and Category
Coordinator to develop customer focused and profitably
- Assumes responsibility for buying assigned center store
categories with flexibility to category reassignment as the
- Coordinates buying activities with other Center Store
Specialists and department managers to acquire inventory in a
cost-effective and efficient way while obtaining products of the
highest possible quality.
- Assumes responsibility for buying system data input and
integrity, as well as Key Performance Indicators for operating the
- Completes the daily tasks needed to support promotions and
large quantity purchases including trade shows purchases, trade
funds, and new item launches.
- Works with leadership to address all aspects of buying, market
trends assessment pricing, product availability and operational
- Supports company and Center Store department initiatives and
special projects set forth by the Center Store Director; ensures
initiatives and projects are clearly defined and comprehensive
project timelines are implemented with clearly stated deliverables;
follows up with grocery teams to review outcome of initiatives and
- Coordinates with the Marketing department category related
marketing and merchandising activities.
- Works closely with grocery teams on merchandising and displays;
ensures promotions, holidays, and new items are displayed in a
timely manner and follow plans to maximize sales; supports
companywide merchandising initiatives. Develops bi-weekly ad.
- Performs budget forecasting functions; works with Center Store
Director to establish budgets; works to maintain budgeted sales and
gross dollars targets.
- Works with Store Directors and Assistant Store Directors, as
needed, to help address employee performance issues (i.e., provides
SD/ASD with relative information so he/she may follow-up with
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Center Store
Skills Required / Qualifications:
Candidates will be selected from applicants having the best
combination of the following qualifications:
- Minimum five years related retail Center Store (grocery)
category management and procurement for multiple retail locations
- Minimum five years experience in distributor and broker
category procurement and management preferred.
- Possesses strong knowledge of gross profit, inventory control,
and labor percentages.
- Demonstrates a strong knowledge, understanding of, and passion
for food, including products and trends.
- Computer skills, proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and
- Proven ability to positively affect sales generation and manage
expenses, including labor.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate with vendors and
- Strong leadership skills, proven success as a team leader and
- Able to effectively delegate and follow-through.
- Strong communication skills, oral and written; exceptional
customer service skills.
- Demonstrates a high-level of self-motivation; takes initiative;
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and produce
quality output while working within deadlines a must. Sense of
urgency required. Excellent time management and organizational
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): It is the policy of
Metropolitan Market, LLC that all employees and applicants be
afforded equal opportunities in employment without regard to race,
color, sex (including gender identity and gender stereotypes),
national origin, religion, disability, or retaliation for engaging
in an EEO protected activity. The Company prohibits discrimination
or harassment based on any of these categories, as well as on age,
genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, status as
a parent, military service, or any other bases protected under
applicable local, state, or federal law.
Keywords: Metropolitan Market, Seattle , Center Store Specialist (Grocery Category Manager)-, Retail Support Center, Executive , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!