Senior Program Officer, DMPK, Drug Discovery, Global Health
Company: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Posted on: September 16, 2020
Our Global Health program harnesses advances in science and
technology to save lives in low and middle income countries. We
focus on the health problems that have a major impact in developing
countries but get too little attention and funding. Where proven
tools exist, we support sustainable ways to improve their delivery.
Where they don't, we invest in research and development of new
interventions, such as vaccines, drugs, biologics, and diagnostics.
Our work in infectious diseases focuses on strategies to fight and
prevent HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, neglected tropical
diseases, enteric and diarrheal diseases and pneumonia. Our work in
maternal, neonatal and child health focuses on ensuring that women
and newborns survive and remain healthy before, during and after
childbirth, and ensuring optimal growth, neurodevelopment and
resistance to disease, by identifying and addressing underlying
biological vulnerabilities. We also support innovative research in
reproductive health. These strategies are supported by functional
teams that focus on Discovery & Translational Sciences, Vaccine
Development & Surveillance, and Integrated Development.
The mission of Discovery &Translational Sciences (D&TS) is
to catalyze innovation for the discovery and translation of
transformative solutions to global health and development inequity.
As such, the primary role of D&TS is to enable the foundation
to achieve its ambitious goals as articulated in the objectives of
the program strategies in Global Health, Global Development and
Global Growth & Opportunities. For this, we exploit a unique
advantage of the foundation in general and D&TS in particular:
the ability to invest in high-risk and/or long-timeline initiatives
with potential for truly disruptive change. We channel resources
into creating more practical (affordable, scalable, deliverable)
versions of existing tools, develop transformative new tools where
none exist, and speed the translation of scientific discovery into
implementable solutions, seeking better ways to evaluate and refine
potential interventions before they enter costly and time-consuming
late-stage clinical trials. Key functions in support of this
mission include identifying and filling gaps in scientific
knowledge, creating or implementing new technology platforms that
can accelerate research in support of our goals, investing in
potentially transformative ideas, continuous surveying of an
ever-changing scientific and technological innovation space, and
the fostering of an effective ecosystem of global health
innovation, funding and partnership to advance the foundation's
mission. Our areas of focus include vaccines, biologics, drugs,
microbiome interventions, and reproductive and sexual health.
Position Summary & Responsibilities
We are currently recruiting a Senior Program Officer (SPO) to join
the Therapeutics team. You will work closely with the Deputy
Director and other team members to shape and execute the
foundation's discovery program aimed at identifying and evaluating
new therapeutics that address global health needs. You will have
depth and breadth of experience and knowledge in the field of drug
discovery. You will help to create a productive and collaborative
culture of innovation in and translation of basic research into
practical health solutions and be passionate about solving problems
and addressing questions relevant to our mission.
Conceptualize, articulate and shape priorities in specific drug
- Monitor and track science and technology trends relevant to
drug discovery. Provide analysis of opportunities based on the
latest and most innovative thinking in the field.
- Collaborate with Deputy Director in strategic planning and
initiation of projects/programs.
- Provide technical expertise for the drug discovery program area
and have ability to represent the foundation both internally and
Develop and manage grants and contracts portfolio to meet strategic
- Identify and select partner institutions and shape scope and
strategy for selected grants and contracts to meet selected
- Develop strategies and contribute to review of grant proposals
and write proposal summaries.
- Apply and evaluate milestone-based performance objectives and
help to make go/no-go decisions about specific projects and product
- Review interim and final reports; write final evaluation.
- Work with product development partnerships and other key
external partners to enhance implementation of program strategy and
- Serve as a partner and resource to grantees to facilitate
accomplishment of objectives.
Contribute to foundation knowledge capture, evaluation, learning,
- Keep manager and colleagues informed of progress of grant
- Synthesize and document learnings across related grants and
- Develop reviews, summaries and informative reports for team,
program and foundation leadership (e.g. Presidents, CEO, Co-Chairs
and other foundation leadership) that summarize key activities,
progress and issues, around grant portfolio.
- Partner with various programs to share learnings and
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities as defined within
Therapeutics, the Global Health division and the Foundation.
Represent the foundation and program to the external world related
to position responsibilities:
- Speak and participate in public events, forums and
- Serve on boards and working groups.
- Leverage opportunities to disseminate the knowledge and
products developed by grantees in order to extend their
- Represent foundation interests in building networks for the
The role will report to the Deputy Director, Discovery Therapeutics
and requires primary residency out of Seattle, Washington
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by
great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive,
will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge & Skills
We are looking for people who enjoy the challenge of working on
complex projects and collaboratively creating solutions that have
the potential for transformational change. We seek an experienced
professional with a deep understanding of the principles of drug
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate should have a PhD or other relevant terminal
degree with deep knowledge, expertise and experience in:
- Pharmacokinetics, drug metabolism or related discipline.
- Drug discovery, with relevant industrial experience in the
evaluation of small molecule therapeutics.
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in relevant field,
preferably gained in the Pharma or Biotech sector.
- Strong record of scientific achievement as evidenced by
publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Coupled with experience in one or more of the following areas
- Strong research, analytical, critical thinking skills as well
as the ability to organize and synthesize information are required.
Proactive and flexible nature with reliable follow-through and
great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills
in positions requiring communications to a broad and diverse
audience on a range of complex technical issues.
- Experience in establishing and leading collaborative programs
integrating fundamental scientific research and lead generation in
the academic, Pharma or Biotech sector.
Additionally, you will have:
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration as well as a
demonstrated ability to work with flexibility, efficiency and
diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort;
ability to work in a cooperative and collegial fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully assemble, coordinate, and
manage complex inter-group collaborations and partnerships, guiding
such programs to meet programmatic and strategic goals.
- Experience in the execution, conduct and/or management of
performance-based contracts or cooperative agreements.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability
to solve problems with energy and positive attitude.
- Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet deadlines within a
fast-paced environment with multiple and competing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and build relationships to gain
the respect and trust of others.
- Solid understanding of the realities and complexities of
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% domestically and
- Demonstrated passion for the foundation's values with a
commitment to deliver results against the foundation's mission and
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees,
employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be
contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that
all lives have equal value. We're committed to creating a workplace
where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also
believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the
global populations we aim to serve-in race, gender, age, cultures
and beliefs-and we support this diversity through all of our
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of
the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of
opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
* Sexual Orientation
* Gender Identity
* Gender Expression
* National Origin
* Genetic Information
* Veteran Status
* Marital Status
* Prior Protected Activity
Keywords: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle , Senior Program Officer, DMPK, Drug Discovery, Global Health, Healthcare , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!