Lab Assistant / Phlebotomist
Company: Virginia Mason Medical Center
Posted on: January 15, 2022
In this role you will obtain blood specimens and perform
pre-analytical processing of patient samples based on established
laboratory procedures. In addition, you will communicate pertinent
laboratory information to healthcare providers including test
ordering instructions, patient test results, or established
- Perform venipuncture and instruct patients in proper collection
of urine, stool, and sputum specimens.
- Perform specimen accessioning, ordering, and data entry. Verify
orders for completeness and accuracy. Ensure proper labeling of
- Prepare specimen for testing by following protocol. Manage
samples appropriately according to priority and stability.
- Follow patient service standards answering phone calls from
inside and outside the medical center. Troubleshoot problems and
questions utilizing resources. Provide results following HIPAA
guidelines and VMMC policies, verbally, fax, and mail. File
laboratory reports and requisitions appropriately.
- Prepare send out specimens to be performed at outside reference
- Process add on test requests ensuring proper sample type,
stability, ordering of the test in the LIS, and labeling. Process
urine samples according to procedure and specimen requirements.
Prepare solution and reagents following procedure and
- Clean and disinfect laboratory equipment. Ensure inventory
supply levels using Kanban system.
- Act as a float within the laboratory, assisting workers as
workload dictates. Advise, mentor, and help train new staff. May
coordinate projects as needed.In addition to the above Central
Processing Technicians at Seattle Main Campus will be responsible
for the following:
- Prepare and ship specimens according to the Dangerous Goods
Regulations for Declaration of Shipping and Packaging Diagnostic
and Infectious substances as well as meeting state and federal
shipping requirements. Complete education requirements to maintain
certification for Shipping Infectious Substances. Accountable for
samples that are sent to outside reference labs.
- Transcribe result reports from reference laboratories for
non-interfaced tests into our Laboratory Information System (LIS).
Fax and notify critical results to the ordering provider.
Located in Seattle, WA, Virginia Mason is an internationally
recognized leader in the continuous improvement of health care.
With an extensive list of awards and distinctions that includes our
recognition as a Leapfrog Top Hospital of the Decade; Virginia
Mason offers you the opportunity to partner with exceptionally
talented peers at every level.
You will contribute to the strength of our Team Medicine approach
to collaborative medicine and benefit from the changes enacted
through our Virginia Mason Production System, a model that has
transformed health care by providing patients with easier access to
care, reducing errors, and continuously innovating patient safety
and quality that has been adopted by other organizations here and
abroad. Join us, and find out how many ways Virginia Mason offers
you the chance to focus on what really matters--- your
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- This position requires a WA State Department of Health Medical
Assistant Phlebotomy Certification.
- May also require certification of training in Infectious
Substance shipping outlined by the Dangerous Goods
- Also required are excellent customer service and patient
relations skills; knowledge of anatomy, venous systems, proper
specimen collection techniques and use of blood tubes; knowledge of
safety guidelines and basic medical and laboratory
- General computer knowledge is needed.
Just as Virginia Mason is dedicated to improving the lives of our
patients and our community, we are equally dedicated to your
professional and personal success. With a wide range of perks that
includes a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, and the
opportunity to live in one of the most livable cities in the
nation, you will find that an opportunity with Team Medicine is one
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Keywords: Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle , Lab Assistant / Phlebotomist, Healthcare , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!