WHO WE ARE
At UnCruise Adventures, we work together to support and build a
brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that
inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world.
This means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls,
snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with
whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers,
Costa Rica & Panama, Belize, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexicos
Sea of Cortes, and Pacific Northwest. Every team member plays a
major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our
team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the entire galley
team in all food preparation and galley sanitation efforts; this
includes prep, production, plate up, and clean-up of six meals per
day (3 guest meals, 3 crew meals). This multi-tasking position will
also assist in the preparation and service of baked goods, all crew
meals, and must be capable of executing a variety of cooking skills
on a daily basis. The Sous Chef will also spend time washing
dishes, loading and storing food provisions, participating in
galley cleaning, and other sanitation duties as assigned.
* Participate in the production and presentation of all guest
* Create and prepare a variety of nutritious, fresh and creative
crew meals, on time as scheduled.
* Execute standard recipes as directed by the Chef.
* Prepare entrees and crew meals for special diets such as
gluten free, sugar free, and vegan, as directed by the Chef.
* Assist in galley clean up after every meal including dish area
support and disposal of trash. Assist in maintaining proper food
handling and storage procedures in accordance with CDC/FDA
* Guest Interaction: Interact with guests in a friendly and
courteous manner at all times. Escort guests to stateroom at start
of cruise and assist in the handling of luggage. Participate in
evening activities and in galley tour as directed by Chef or Hotel
Safety and Security:
* Comply with all CDC/FDA vessel sanitation requirements.
* Participate in on board safety training, meetings and drills
as directed by the Captain; including fire, abandon ship, man
overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
* Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety
Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
* Minimum of 2-3 years experience cooking in a general kitchen
or galley setting.
* Excellent knife skills and the ability to follow any recipe
from start to finish.
* Good time management skills: ability to handle multiple tasks,
set priorities, and meet deadlines.
* Must be hardworking, flexible and willing to communicate
effectively with the Chef and other crew members.
* Able to get along with co-workers and support a team
* Experience with passenger vessels is strongly preferred, but
* Comfortable living and working in close quarters with other
crew members for many weeks at a time, with no days off.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
* Valid Passport
* CPR / First Aid / AED
* Alaska Food Handler Permit
* ServSafe Allergens
* Washington Food Handler Permit (1)
* Oregon Food Handler Permit (1)
* STCW Crowd Management (Company provided) (2)
* Security Awareness or VPDSD (Company provided) (2)
* Medical Certificate or Physical Examination Report (2)
* Required for vessels operating on the Washington/Oregon
* Required for Safari Voyager
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
* Covid-19 - Our crew and guests are fully vaccinated (including
booster) prior to boarding the vessels. Masks and testing are also
* Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per
day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the
vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
* Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling,
crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and
ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Ability to
stand or sit for long periods of time.
* Handling/Strength- Ability to handle, lift, and lower objects
totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of
about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to
carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
* Environmental Conditions- ability to work in all weather
conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a
28-inch wide hatch.
This job description is intended only to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this
position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all responsibilities, duties, and skills or abilities required
or persons so classified or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
It is the policy of UnCruise Adventures not to discriminate on
the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, marital status,
citizenship, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical
disability, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation,
age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in
its educational programs, activities, or employment as required by