Senior Technical Advisor, Finance and Accounting Services (Global Tax)
Company: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Posted on: September 16, 2020
The Global Financial & Accounting Services (GFAS) division is a
growing team with an increasing breadth of responsibility. The
foundation continues to grow in its global footprint and in the
complexity of its work. The GFAS team is scaling up to support this
important work. The team's vision is to provide innovative and
scalable global business solutions in accounting, tax, payroll,
financial reporting and financial operations while safeguarding the
reputation of the foundation and our related entities, with the
highest standards of integrity and operational excellence.
GFAS is a division within the Finance organization at the
foundation and an important part of the operations function.
Operations supports and enables the five program teams to make
investments and to run effectively and efficiently. As a function,
Finance employs approximately 100 FTE's. The GFAS division is
significant (30+ FTE's), and responsible for financial reporting
processes, technical and advisory services, internal controls, and
the accounting functions at the foundation.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by
great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive,
will do phenomenal things.
The Senior Technical Advisor is a leader, problem solver, trusted
business partner, mentor and subject matter expert in tax. Manages
and coordinates complex GFAS work activities that are highly
visible internally and externally. The Senior Technical Advisor is
responsible for the following:
- Research (-50% of the role)
- Analyze taxation of compensation and benefits in a variety of
domestic and international jurisdictions
- Monitor and research new tax/regulatory laws and regulations as
they arise and work to find solutions
- Research and analyze complex, often first in-kind transactions
for tax and payroll implications, including how information needs
to be captured in financial systems
- Act as subject matter expert on cross foundation initiatives.
Provide tax expertise and advice on complex employment
- Act as consultant to the international offices on tax policies
- Compliance (-35% of the role)
- Manage the preparation, review and filing of various tax
returns for the foundation's international locations including
interaction with internal and external advisors, and foundation and
related entity leadership
- Work with the payroll team to ensure compliance with the
taxability of compensation and benefits
- Assist with the review of various domestic tax returns
- Development & Training (-15% of the role)
- Assist with the development and maintenance of enterprise wide
- Review work of other GFAS staff to ensure all tax implications
have been considered
- Mentor GFAS staff to develop technical skills on the team
While this position has no direct reports, this position works in a
highly matrixed environment and works closely with the following
internal and external stakeholders:
- Internally: Work closely with GFAS staff and peers in other
divisions to understand the technical tax implications of a
transaction. Present findings to leadership.
- Externally: Ability to network and share best practices with
other peer organizations. Work closely with external accounting and
tax firms to research complex transactions and issues.
The ideal candidate has a blend of the following skills and
- Strong financial and analytical background with focus on skills
that facilitate decision making.
- Knowledge of financial principles and processes, with ability
to navigate complex environments.
- Extensive expertise the following areas:
- The application of and compliance with tax laws and regulations
in a variety of jurisdictions.
- Writing technical tax memos on complex issues
- General understanding of and/or willingness to learn:
- Non-profit tax laws
- Financial systems and reporting
- Payroll best practices and knowledge of international payroll
processes and laws
- Experience planning and managing projects of high importance
such as external audits, financial meetings with the CFO and
Controller, and the preparation and oversight of financial
materials to be used in foundation leadership meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex financial concepts
to partners with diverse backgrounds, including leadership, program
staff, grantees and other foundation operational resources.
Advanced degree with 7+ years of experience; CPA preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Critical thinking, ability to work across teams; excellent
communication skills, ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts to partners
with diverse backgrounds, including leadership, program staff,
grantees and other foundation operational resources.
- Strong initiative, organizational skills and ability to work
autonomously and cross-functionally while remaining flexible to
changing tasks, priorities, and roles and responsibilities.
- Models professional courage- engages in trust based debate,
asks hard or unpopular questions, and is willing to say no.
- Intellectually curious with solution orientation and the
ability to identify new ways of working.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to navigate complex environments
** Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess
current US Work Authorization, and do not require
employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees,
employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be
contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that
all lives have equal value. We're committed to creating a workplace
where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also
believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the
global populations we aim to serve-in race, gender, age, cultures
and beliefs-and we support this diversity through all of our
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of
the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of
opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
* Sexual Orientation
* Gender Identity
* Gender Expression
* National Origin
* Genetic Information
* Veteran Status
* Marital Status
* Prior Protected Activity
Keywords: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle , Senior Technical Advisor, Finance and Accounting Services (Global Tax), IT / Software / Systems , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!