Operating Systems Software Engineer
Posted on: January 15, 2021
We are currently seeking an Operating Systems Engineer with
strong design and build skills, passion for low-level systems
software and device driver programming, hands-on experience working
on Operating Systems at all layers from firmware to cloud, and
experience with shipping hardware/software products.
You are the kind of engineer who has expertise creating reliable,
robust, and performant systems software at all layers of the stack.
You are fluent in multiple areas of classic Operating Systems e.g.,
threading, scheduling, memory management, I/O and device models,
security. If asked, you have the skills to design and build your
own competitive replacement. You have hands-on experience bringing
up new hardware and software systems and you have significant
experience debugging and repairing complex, multi-component system
level issues using a variety of OS and bus level debugging tools,
e.g. USB/Firewire/Ethernet protocol analyzers, kernel debuggers, OS
event tracing infrastructure, etc.
- Design and implement OS components at all layers of the system,
e.g. kernel, synchronization primitives, resource allocators,
memory management, security, I/O systems, persistence, etc.
- Design and implement device and bus drivers that operate
efficiently in a constrained environment yet when pressed can
efficiently deliver large volumes of data with low-latency and
- Debug complex, system-level, multi-component issues that
typically span across multiple layers from kernel to
- Profile performance problems and drive optimizations that span
the entire software stack.
- Bring up new devices and lead debugging and performance tuning
exercises that span multiple hardware/firmware/software teams.
- Understand software components from multiple partner teams,
lead the integration of those components into the unified product
code base, and drive their continued development.
- 5+ years experience working on systems software in a
large-scale C code base.
- Demonstrated knowledge of operating systems internals on at
least one platform.
- Demonstrated knowledge creating device drivers on at least one
- Experience developing, debugging, and shipping software
products on large code bases that span platforms and tools.
- Experience with Software Development processes including:
source control, bug tracking, and design documentation.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in
- Experience with power management and modern systems
- Experience with specialized kernel functions: synchronization
primitives, memory management, schedulers and dispatchers, TLB
- Experience working on multiple classes of drivers e.g., bus,
block, wireless, display drivers.
- Experience with low-latency, high bandwidth, streaming hardware
devices, e.g. video cameras, graphics cards, etc.
- Experience with new device bring-up.
- Experience with ARM platforms.
- Experience creating, debugging, and deploying on-device
firmware (MCU and/or DSP).Facebook's mission is to give people the
power to build community and bring the world closer together.
Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different
kind of company that connects billions of people around the world,
gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring
people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or
helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are
builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating,
solving problems, and working together to empower people around the
world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together,
we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting
started.Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon
race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy,
childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation,
gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status,
sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as
an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally
protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants
with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state
and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting
process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a
disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Facebook, Seattle , Operating Systems Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!