Lead Software Engineer
Company: Disney Streaming
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Disney Streaming encompasses the teams behind the Hulu, Disney+,
ESPN+, and Star+ streaming services within Disney's Media &
Entertainment Distribution group. We sit at the intersection
between entertainment, sports, and technology and seek to connect
viewers with the stories they love, while pushing the streaming
industry forward with consumer-first innovation.The Content and
Experience Delivery organization is composed of teams on a mission
to deliver the best browse experience to our viewers across all of
the Disney Streaming brands.The Experience Orchestration Services
(EOS) team is at the forefront of that mission! We build critical
services that deliver layout information and content metadata
directly to end-user devices. Our challenge is to provide low
latency and high availability at scale for millions of users, with
an interface that can keep up with our constantly-growing streaming
applications. As a Lead Software Engineer, you will collaborate
closely with engineers, project managers, and product managers to
find the best solution for our viewers. You will drive projects
end-to-end: designing the initial solution; finding alignment with
stakeholders; execution of the necessary code; and overseeing the
deployment of services to production. Members of the team look to
your code and documentation as examples of What To Do. You value
good-faith collaboration, driving best practices, and promoting
excellence on your team. If this sounds like you, we would love to
hear from you!#disneytechResponsibilities : You'll join a
hardworking group of engineers who build and manage systems that
publish data to Disney Streaming's internal and edge-facing
services - ultimately powering Disney Streaming clients running on
smart TVs, smartphones, gaming consoles, FireTV, Apple TV, Roku,
and others.We're passionate about data - just like you! You'll
apply your experience with database technologies to construct
distributed, large-scale services.
- Actively participate in daily stand-ups and other scrum
- Design new solutions and drive alignment across engineering and
- Expertly break down work at the epic level, setting project
milestones with reasonable deadlines.
- Prioritize work within a project to deliver on the most
necessary or urgent requirements.
- Anticipate and mitigate risk on projects.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders on project
- Write code to implement new features or optimize existing
- Determine the most efficient means to sufficiently test new
code: unit tests, integration tests, performance tests, etc.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation for our tier-1 critical
services facing millions of users worldwide.
- Use logs, monitoring tools, and work with developers to
determine root causes across distributed components.
- Set best practices for the team for on-call responsibilities
such as deployments, monitoring, and investigating incidents
- Perform code reviews for members of the team, bearing a sense
of responsibility for approved code.
- Coach and mentor teammates in an open, respectful, flexible,
empathetic manner. Help onboard new team members.Basic
- 7+ years of related experience crafting and operating backend
- 1+ years of related experience crafting and operating
large-scale, high-availability backend services.
- Demonstrated knowledge crafting and operating JVM
- Proven track record of designing and driving consensus on
- 1+ years of related experience utilizing caching
- Demonstrated knowledge of asynchronous programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of object-oriented programming
- Demonstrated knowledge of functional programming patterns.
- Demonstrated knowledge of source control systems and CI/CD
- 1+ years experience operating within a Public Cloud Provider
(e.g., AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with observability tools for metrics, logging, and
monitoring (e.g., Datadog, Splunk, Grafana)
- Demonstrated knowledge of AGILE/Scrum practices.
- Skilled at work breakdown and task estimation.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to share your
knowledge with team members and others across Disney
- Demonstrated knowledge of messaging technologies (e.g., Kafka,
Kinesis, SQS, etc.)Required Education : BS in Computer Science is
preferred or equivalent degree is acceptable Additional Information
: Working hybrid from our office in Seattle, WA is preferred or a
willingness to work Remote in Pacific Time Zone is acceptable
Keywords: Disney Streaming, Seattle , Lead Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Poulsbo, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!