If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page:
Job Category : Design/Engineering/Construction Management
The ideal candidate will be providing design subject matter
expertise (SME) across networked communications and automation
systems for transit applications including; fare collection,
emergency telephones, passenger information, vehicle wayside
interface, radio, SCADA (PLCs, & HMIs), CCTV, access control, low
voltage electronics power distribution, and industrial IOT.
Incumbent provides engineering and project services independently
and as a team contributor with emphasis on network infrastructure
and Ethernet communications for capital expansion projects,
engineering service requests, operations and maintenance.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a
comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this
classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties
and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform
all duties listed and may be required to perform additional,
• Develops and maintains agency design criteria and
standards for systems and assets in assigned engineering
• Reviews, provides input to and accepts formal contract
deliverables and submittals to provide assurance of project
compliance with established agency technical criteria, policies and
procedures for design development, systems interface coordination
and integration, construction and testing and commissioning.
• Develops and accepts changes and deviations from
established agency standards and criteria.
• Works closely with city code and fire department
officials to ensure code requirements and operational best
practices are incorporated into design projects.
• Develops designs for follow on and service delivery
projects from beginning to end. Including coordination of schedule,
scope, and budget of assigned projects.
• May be required to review, approve (sign and seal)
engineering drawings and specifications within assigned engineering
• Provides leadership and coordination of small technical
teams with respect to specific tasks.
• Provides technical oversight and coaching of less senior
• Provides engineering economic analysis in determining
total cost of ownership.
• Provides support to the department/division and others on
matters as directed; serves as staff on a variety of committees as
assigned; prepares and presents reports and presentations; attends
and participates in professional group meetings.
• Supports Agency Sustainability efforts to develop
efficient designs and evaluate new technologies intended to improve
efficiencies and reduce impact.
• Collaborates with staff across the agency to ensure
continuous improvement and best practice is applied to engineering
criteria, policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates Sound Transit’s Values in every
• It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the
Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to
their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include
systems, operations, and/or other employees.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate
sustainability into everyday business practices.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in engineering from an Accredited Board for
Engineering & Technology (ABET) and a minimum of six years of
systems engineering experience in design, construction or
operations and maintenance of complex industrial communications and
control systems. Experience in a transit / transportation related
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Valid state driver's license
Professional Engineer License preferred
Required Knowledge of:
• Engineering principles, methods and techniques applied
during design, construction, testing and commissioning, operations
• Codes and related regulations applicable to network
communications and security (for example NFPA, BICSI, ANSI, ISAM,
UL, NEC, NEMA, APTA, NIST, ISO, NERC).
• Electrical and telecommunications wiring practices,
installation standards and construction techniques.
• Ethernet TCP/IP
• Grounding and shielding practices, power over Ethernet
• Cable (wired) networks, topologies, media (copper, fiber,
RF) network device configuration, network diagnostics, network
management, wireless networks (802.11, Bluetooth, RFID,
• Network performance metrics (Availability, Bandwidth,
Delay, Error, Jitter, Latency, Loss, Overhead, Response Time,
Throughput, Utilization), fault resilience and tolerance
• Recent developments, current literature, and sources of
information related to emerging trends and innovation in area of
Required Skill in:
• Troubleshooting, diagnostics and root cause analysis -
ability to systematically investigate equipment failures in complex
systems, determine the root cause, and recommend corrective
• Time management -ability to control a large workload,
prioritize effort, and manage commitments
• Collaboration - Excellent ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships with other agency staff,
consultants, contractors, authorities having jurisdiction, and
other stakeholder groups. Is able to consistently reach consensus
with diverse groups of stakeholders.
• Communication - Excellent skill in the ability to
communicate clear and accurate technical information to technical
and non-technical audiences in verbal and written form
• Meeting management - Advanced skill in planning,
conducting and recording effective meetings
• Systems thinking - Advanced skill in understanding the
whole problem, seeking different perspectives, understanding
interdependencies, and decomposing complex problems into solvable
• Task leadership - The ability to develop scopes of work
and estimates for engineering activities and coordinate small teams
of staff, consultants and contractors to complete technical
• Negotiation - The ability to negotiate technical and
commercial issues with internal and external stakeholders.
• Conflict resolution - ability to respectfully reconcile
different points of view held by diverse stakeholders on matters
pertaining to area of practice.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment and in
the field in support of construction, testing, operations and
maintenance efforts. Work performed during normal business hours
with exceptions to accommodate testing, investigations, and other
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, climbing
ladders, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds; may
occasionally be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather
conditions, and physical harm when conducting field surveys and
when working in the field.
• Role requires occasional nightshift / weekend work
typical of major infrastructure projects and operating transit
• The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment
and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all
personnel as required.
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No
person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race,
color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity,
sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information,
disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner
discriminate against employees or applicants because they have
inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of
another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as
a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of
other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise
have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is
(a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance
of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Your full LinkedIn profile
will be shared. Learn More