Senior Program Officer, AntiViral, Drug Discovery
Company: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Posted on: September 17, 2020
Our Global Health Program harnesses advances in science and
technology to save lives in poor countries. We focus on the health
problems that have a major impact in developing countries but get
too little attention and funding. Where proven tools exist, we
support sustainable ways to improve their delivery. Where they
don't, we invest in research and development of new interventions,
such as vaccines, drugs, and diagnostics. Our work in infectious
diseases focuses on strategies to fight and prevent HIV/AIDS,
malaria, tuberculosis, neglected tropical diseases, enteric and
diarrheal diseases, pneumonia and polio. We support innovative
research in Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health and Family
Planning. These strategies are supported by functional teams
Discovery & Translational Sciences, Vaccine Development &
Surveillance, Institute of Disease Modeling, Innovation
Introduction and Integrated Development.
Working closely with other global programs, the Discovery &
Translational Sciences program aims to create and improve
preventive, diagnostic, and therapeutic interventions for
infectious diseases as well as other conditions that affect
mothers, infants, and children. We do this by identifying and
filling gaps in scientific knowledge, creating or implementing new
technology platforms that can accelerate research in support of our
goals, and investing in potentially transformative ideas. This may
include: channeling resources into creating more practical
(affordable, scalable, deliverable) versions of existing tools and
developing transformative new tools where none exist, as well as
speeding the translation of scientific discovery into implementable
solutions, seeking better ways to evaluate and refine potential
interventions before they enter costly and time-consuming
late-stage clinical trials.
Our areas of focus include vaccines, drugs, maternal & child
health, reproductive health and control of disease-transmitting
Position Summary & Responsibilities
We are currently recruiting a Senior Program Officer (SPO) to join
the Therapeutics team. You will work closely with the Deputy
Director and other team members to shape and execute the
foundation's discovery program aimed at identifying and evaluating
new therapeutics that address global health needs. Specifically,
you will contribute to the foundation's efforts in pandemic
preparedness initially focusing on new broad-spectrum
anti-coronavirus agents then expanding to discovery of agents
active against other respiratory viruses with pandemic potential.
You will have depth and breadth of experience and knowledge in the
field of antiviral drug discovery. You will help to create a
productive and collaborative culture of innovation in and
translation of basic research into practical health solutions and
be passionate about solving problems and addressing questions
relevant to our mission.
Conceptualize, articulate and shape priorities in specific drug
- Monitor and track science and technology trends relevant to
drug discovery. Provide analysis of opportunities based on the
latest and most innovative thinking in the field.
- Collaborate with Deputy Director in strategic planning and
initiation of projects/programs.
- Provide technical expertise for the drug discovery program area
and have ability to represent the foundation both internally and
Develop and manage grants and contracts portfolio to meet strategic
- Identify and select partner institutions and shape scope and
strategy for selected grants and contracts to meet selected
- Develop strategies and contribute to review of grant proposals
and write proposal summaries.
- Apply and evaluate milestone-based performance objectives and
help to make go/no-go decisions about specific projects and product
- Review interim and final reports; write final evaluation.
- Work with product development partnerships and other key
external partners to enhance implementation of program strategy and
- Serve as a partner and resource to grantees to facilitate
accomplishment of objectives.
Contribute to foundation knowledge capture, evaluation, learning,
- Keep manager and colleagues informed of progress of grant
- Synthesize and document learnings across related grants and
- Develop reviews, summaries and informative reports for team,
program and foundation leadership (e.g. Presidents, CEO, Co-Chairs
and other foundation leadership) that summarize key activities,
progress and issues, around grant portfolio.
- Partner with various programs to share learnings and
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities as defined within
Therapeutics, the Global Health division and the Foundation.
Represent the foundation and program to the external world related
to position responsibilities:
- Speak and participate in public events, forums and
- Serve on boards and working groups.
- Leverage opportunities to disseminate the knowledge and
products developed by grantees in order to extend their
- Represent foundation interests in building networks for the
The role will report to the Deputy Director, Discovery Therapeutics
and requires primary residency out of Seattle, Washington
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by
great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive,
will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge & Skills
We are looking for people who enjoy the challenge of working on
complex projects and collaboratively creating solutions that have
the potential for transformational change. We seek an experienced
professional with a deep understanding of the principles of drug
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate should have a PhD or other relevant terminal
degree with deep knowledge, expertise and experience in:
- Antiviral drug discovery, virologist preferred
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in relevant field,
preferably gained in the Pharma or Biotech sector.
- Strong record of scientific achievement as evidenced by
publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Coupled with experience in one or more of the following areas
- Strong research, analytical, critical thinking skills as well
as the ability to organize and synthesize information are required.
Proactive and flexible nature with reliable follow-through and
great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills
in positions requiring communications to a broad and diverse
audience on a range of complex technical issues.
- Experience in establishing and leading collaborative programs
integrating fundamental scientific research and lead generation in
the academic, Pharma or Biotech sector.
Additionally, you will have:
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration as well as a
demonstrated ability to work with flexibility, efficiency and
diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort;
ability to work in a cooperative and collegial fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully assemble, coordinate, and
manage complex inter-group collaborations and partnerships, guiding
such programs to meet programmatic and strategic goals.
- Experience in the execution, conduct and/or management of
performance-based contracts or cooperative agreements.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability
to solve problems with energy and positive attitude.
- Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet deadlines within a
fast-paced environment with multiple and competing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and build relationships to gain
the respect and trust of others.
- Solid understanding of the realities and complexities of
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% domestically and
- Demonstrated passion for the foundation's values with a
commitment to deliver results against the foundation's mission
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees,
employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be
contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that
all lives have equal value. We're committed to creating a workplace
where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also
believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the
global populations we aim to serve-in race, gender, age, cultures
and beliefs-and we support this diversity through all of our
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of
the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of
opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
* Sexual Orientation
* Gender Identity
* Gender Expression
* National Origin
* Genetic Information
* Veteran Status
* Marital Status
* Prior Protected Activity
Keywords: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle , Senior Program Officer, AntiViral, Drug Discovery, Other , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!