coding Manager (full Time)
Company: University of Washington
Posted on: June 12, 2021
For detailed information on Benefits for this position click
University of Washington Medicine's mission is to improve the
health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing
outstanding primary and specialty care to the people of the region,
and preparing tomorrow's physicians, scientists and other health
professionals. UW Medicine owns or operates Harborview Medical
Center, Valley Medical Center, UW Medical Center, UW Medicine
Center - Northwest, a network of UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics
that provide primary care, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine,
Airlift Northwest, and other owned, operated or affiliated entities
as appropriate. In addition, UW Medicine shares in the ownership
and governance of Children's University Medical Group and Seattle
Cancer Care Alliance a partnership among UW Medicine, Fred
Hutchinson Cancer Research, and Seattle Children's.
Under the general guidance of the Director of Clinical Coding
and Documentation, the Coding Manager is responsible for the
overall management of staff and operational activities within
Enterprise Records and Health Information (ERHI) Coding division.
This includes oversight of the day to day operations for assigned
Coding teams including Inpatient, Emergency, Observation,
Ambulatory Procedures, Ambulatory Surgery, Ambulatory Clinics,
Pathology and/or Radiology coding at University of Washington
Medical Center (UWMC) and Harborview Medical Center (HMC) in
accordance with accepted industry standards and practices and
within established medical center(s) guidelines.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILIES:
- Monitor coding productivity of staff to ensure goals are
achieved, and work with Coding Supervisor to create and implement
action plans when production not met.
- Monitor coding quality of staff to ensure goals are achieved,
and work with Coding Supervisor and Coding Analyst team to create
and implement education, training and auditing plans when quality
standards are not met. Monitor coding volumes and create and
implement action plans to prevent or reduce coding backlogs.
- Ensure Epic work queues (WQs) related to coding and prebilling
functions are completed within established time frames. Promote and
maintain a positive working relationship within the department as
well as with other departments, physicians, and staff across UW
- Provide coding consultation and workflow collaboration, as
- Perform interviews, check references and hire staff. Monitor
staff performance, conduct annual performance evaluations and make
recommendations for disciplinary action, as appropriate.
- Coordinate and participate in department orientation and
training of new staff to their specific job responsibilities.
- Participate in the development of the UW Medicine health system
sponsored Coding Apprenticeship Program including selecting
candidates, making recommendations on final hire decisions based on
established criteria and reporting on progress and expense/savings
impacts of the program to Director.
- Facilitates the effective and efficient use of all systems
utilized in coding for the medical centers and clinics including:
EPIC, Cerner, 3M Health Data Management/Encompass 360, Optum, and
others, as appropriate.
- Acts as the leadership liason between Coding management/staff
and Clinical Documentation Improvement leadership personnel.
- Partners with CDI at the medical center(s) to ensure
programmatic targets are communicated and monitored.
- Monitors remote worker program to ensure productivity targets
and efficient work patterns are maintained.
- Address and correct deviation where identified and
- Assess staff for fit and appropriateness to work remotely.
- Subject matter expert for hospital based coding and DRG
- Knowledge and understanding of how coding impacts the UHC risk
model, quality indicators, compliance, and other regulatory
metrics. Interact with medical staff leadership, nursing
leadership, Clinical Resource Management/Utilization Review
leadership, Clinical Documentation Improvement leadership, and
other department leaders to facilitate problem solving,
identification of process improvements, and workflow redesign
related to coding activities. Assist in the development,
preparation and maintenance of reports regarding operational
activities for use in budgeting, planning, coordinating,
evaluating, and supervising. Provide Coding leadership in
organization committee and/or meeting functions.
- May perform special projects. Perform related duties, as
- Bachelor's degree in a Health Sciences discipline, Business
Administration or related field; or an equivalent combination of
education and/or work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years coding management experience in a large
multi-specialty hospital or equivalent health related organization.
Current coding certification of a minimum of one of the following
credentials: RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CIC, COC, CIRCC, RCC or
ROCC. Extensive knowledge of ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS and DRG
coding principles and guidelines.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and electronic medical
records systems. Proven communication, organizational, analytical
and critical thinking skills.
- Successful experience in working within a multifaceted, highly
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive working
relationships, effectively manage competing priorities, and
accurately complete highly detailed work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of
management and medical staff.
- Experience in an academic healthcare environment Experience
managing remote staff Experience and proficiency with Epic
Experience with 3M encoder
Applicants considered for this position will be required to
disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or
current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their
current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required
under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the
University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives
and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and
maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive,
equitable and welcoming.
Keywords: University of Washington, Seattle , coding Manager (full Time), Other , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!