Chief Engineer - American Queen Steamboat Company
Posted on: June 12, 2021
NOW GATHERING APPLICATIONS FOR AQSC 2021 SEASON START UPS
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the
link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
The Chief Engineer is responsible for supervising and
coordinating the work activities of officers and crew engaged in
operating and maintaining paddlewheel, engines, boilers, deck
machinery and electrical refrigeration and sanitary equipment
aboard the vessel. This position oversees the installation and
repair of systems and equipment onboard by outside contractors. The
Chief Engineer directs, coordinates and exercises functional
authority for the planning, organization, control, integration and
completion of engineering projects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Inspect engines and other equipment and instruct crew on the
repair or replacement of defective parts
- Plan and formulate engineering programs and prioritize staff
assignments according to project requirements
- Review department operations for compliance with engineering
principles, company standards, passenger requirements and those
requirements of the USCG and other regulatory bodies
- Calculate and monitor daily fuel and feed water consumption of
- Arrange fuel schedules and orders
- Maintain departmental work/overtime records and prepare engine
- Prepare and review recommendations for repair work to the
- Review and approve departmental requisitions for stores
- Responsible for informing the Captain of any pertinent
information for reporting needs including, but not limited to,
mechanical, medical, damage, large preventable issues, etc.
- Overall safe operation of the vessel as carried out through the
orders of the captain
- Perform any duties and tasks as deemed necessary by the Port
- Ensure behavior and performance supports the company's Mission;
promotes year-round success of system
- Solicits feedback; takes action to continuously improve success
- Comply with safety and operating procedures
- Participate in all safety drills and training
- Performs other duties if required since above stated describe
only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task
needed to achieve results
Requirements & Qualifications
- HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Bachelor's degree preferred in a related field
Professional Certification(s) or License:
- USCG License as an unlimited Chief Engineer
- DDE 4000+ Engineer's License (AE only)
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) -
ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid Driver's License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be
fluent in English
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a
pleasant and professional manner
- At least five years of experience required in a position with
duties and responsibilities directly related to this position
- Cruise industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the
USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random,
reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.*Additional
requirements may be required depending on the physical needs of the
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our
mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests,
but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating
principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of
creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First,
Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating
Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we
promise to engage to live those values:
- We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with
Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
- We are stewards of the Environment through practicing
conservation, protection and education.
- We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe
and secure workplace.
- We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following
- We are on time - to start and stop - and we come prepared.
- We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited
We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality
decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at
least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
- We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
- As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and
passionately compete like an underdog.
We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and
not stuck in the past.
- We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
- We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests - and
are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not
entertain politics and bureaucracy.
- Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody
- We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our
- We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too
- And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and
celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and
or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to
discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion,
religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship,
sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions,
childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military
statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic
information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic
violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics
prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the
Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain
Keywords: Hornblower, Seattle , Chief Engineer - American Queen Steamboat Company, Other , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!