Tobacco Cessation Specialist
Company: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit, unified
adult cancer care and research center that is clinically integrated
with UW Medicine, a world leader in clinical care, research and
learning. The first National Cancer Institute-designated cancer
center in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Hutch's global leadership in
bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy,
and COVID-19 vaccines has confirmed our reputation as one of the
world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research
centers. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care
sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton
therapy, and related services, and network affiliations with
hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research
and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures for the world's
deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and
rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our
mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek
employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the
world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an
antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all
candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and
The certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) works closely with
program staff to identify tobacco users and engage them in
treatment. The TTS also provides administrative and coordination
support to Fred Hutch's Living Tobacco-Free Services program and
works closely with Fred Hutch's Indigenous health promotion program
staff to develop and deliver commercial use smoking cessation
education and programming.
- Provides tobacco use screening and tobacco cessation
interventions for Fred Hutch patients, family members and
caregivers employing evidence-based, state-of-the-art best
practices, such as those described in the National Comprehensive
Cancer Network Smoking Cessation Guidelines.
- Clearly documents patient care interactions in the EHR
(electronic health record) and maintain systems for tracking
patient care and follow-up (to support data extrapolation related
to ordering and scheduling of appointments, patient demographics
- Communicates clearly in writing and orally with physicians and
other health care providers, staff and supervisors regarding
patient needs and outcomes.
- Leads program services and improvement efforts, and report
results and next steps/needs.
- Educates staff, providers, community members and students
regarding the health effects of tobacco use, the benefits of
tobacco cessation at the time of a cancer diagnosis using current
evidence-based information, and program offerings.
- Champions evidence-based tobacco use screening, intervention,
and education in the broader organization -- to support patient
care in this area.
- Serves as a member of Fred Hutch's Indigenous health promotion
program oversight committee.
- Assists with tobacco cessation program development for
Indigenous communities and youth.
- Assists with the delivery of commercial tobacco education and
cessation programming for the Indigenous community.
- Bachelor's Degree in nursing, health education, public health
or other healthcare field (counseling, chemical dependence, social
work) with coursework and demonstrated knowledge in treatment of
- Two years relevant experience (preferred in public health or
- Knowledge of and ability to apply adult learning and behavior
change theories including motivational interviewing principles,
basic cognitive-behavioral therapy, and other brief intervention
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and active
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity and self-confidence,
- Demonstrated ability to work with others cooperatively and
comfortably in a team environment
- Highly flexible, able to prioritize multiple needs/tasks
- Registered Nurse or Master's in health-related clinical field;
substance use disorder/mental health coursework
- Tobacco Treatment Specialist Certification
- 2 years of experience in counseling, substance addictions, or
behavior change intervention in a health care setting
- Proficient in motivational interviewing with 1-year experience
in medical oncology setting.
- Experience with EPIC electronic health record system.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an institution-wide arena,
interface with staff in leadership roles, and lead the development
of evidence based protocols for tobacco cessation services
- Motivational interviewing and substance use disorder/mental
- Computer skills (EHR, Microsoft Office Suite)
SCCA has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, and there are no
exceptions for any employee who is patient-facing and/or requires
access to SCCA facilities.
Exceptions exist only for employees whose positions are fully
remote, with no required access to campus. As a condition of
employment, newly hired employees requiring access to campus must
provide proof of vaccination before their first day of
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward
greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career
or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested
of all finalists. -
Our Commitment to DiversityWe are proud to be an Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance
Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace
in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and
respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability
(physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic
information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political
ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We
are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with
diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of
protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and
or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting
process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.
Keywords: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle , Tobacco Cessation Specialist, Other , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!