Postbaccalaureate Research Associate
Company: Benaroya Research Institute
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Postbaccalaureate Research Associate
Location : City
Postbaccalaureate Research Associate (Postbaccs) at Benaroya
Research Institute (BRI) will engage in research at the forefront
of immunologic, allergic, and infectious diseases, to prepare them
for future careers in biomedical research. Postbaccs spend two
years performing full-time research under the guidance and
direction of a BRI Principal Investigator. Postbaccs have the
opportunity to engage and network with experts in diverse
scientific research fields while taking advantage of the extensive
resources of BRI.
Postbaccs will participate in a structured educational program in
preparation for graduate or medical school including training in
laboratory and/or computational skills, critical thinking, and
scientific communication skills. Postbaccs will conduct research in
BRI laboratories located in Seattle, WA, which provides a unique
scientific research training environment in basic, translational,
and clinical research for recent college graduates who plan to
apply to graduate or professional school (Ph.D., M.D., or
equivalent graduate degree).
Application deadline: March 1st 2023Program start: July 5th 2023.
Application requirements: Apply online and include the items listed
below:Curriculum Vitae, including Education, Research Experience,
Employment History, Awards and Honors
- Transcript (unofficial)
- Personal statement (1500 word limit). This statement should
include the following:
(a) Educational background
(b) Description of previous research experience
(c) Research interests
(d) Career goals
(e) How the BRI Postbacc program will help you to reach your career
- Additional statement (500 word limit): Describe an obstacle or
challenge you have faced, and how you have overcome it.
- Letters of Reference: 3 letters of reference. At least two must
be from academic faculty familiar with applicant's coursework or
research experience. Your references must be confidential and
emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the
Please email email@example.com with any questions about
the program or application process.
- Conduct mentored research under supervision of a BRI Principal
Investigator and their scientific staff.
- Learn best practices in design, performance, and analysis of
cutting-edge immunological research.
- Present research findings at lab meetings, institutional
seminars, and at a national conference.
- Actively participate in the structured educational programming,
including journal clubs, scientific writing workshops, and
assistance with graduate/medical school application process.
- May take advantage of additional coursework if needed.
The BRI Postbacc Program is for individuals who intend to
matriculate to graduate or professional school in Fall 2025 AND
meet ONE of the following criteria:
- College graduates who received their bachelor's degree less
than THREE years prior to the date they begin the program
(regardless of whether they subsequently completed a master's
- College graduates who are more than three years past the
receipt of their bachelor's degree but received a master's degree
less than SIX MONTHS before they begin the program.
- Requires a BA/BS in a scientific field with a strong foundation
of coursework in biology or related fields.
- Demonstrated track record of scientific curiosity,
collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Must be detail oriented, having strong mathematical
- Need to be able to quickly learn proper operation of complex
laboratory instruments and equipment and/or analysis
- Must have good verbal and writing skills.
$24.00 - $24.00 per hour
- Medical, dental, vision hardware insurance
- Flexible spending accounts: health care, dependent care,
- Short and long-term disability and life and AD&D
- 403(b) retirement plan with matching funds after one year of
- PTO: 13 holidays, three weeks of vacation and two weeks of sick
leave per year
- Employee assistance program
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Subsidized bus pass
- Subsidized YMCA membership
- Voluntary benefits, e.g., pet insurance, accident, critical
illness, identify theft
- See benaroyaresearch.org for benefit details
Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason (BRI) has a bold
mission: Predict, prevent, reverse and cure immune system diseases,
from autoimmune disease to cancer to COVID-19. We examine the
immune system in both health and disease to understand how
disorders start and how to rebalance the immune system back to
health. Equipped with innovative tools and robust biorepositories,
our team chips away at the biggest mysteries behind these
conditions to work toward our vision of a healthy immune system for
all. As an independent non-profit organization within Virginia
Mason Franciscan Health, we collaborate with clinicians to
accelerate the path from innovative lab discoveries to
life-changing patient care. At BRI, each role is valued and an
important contributor to the vision and mission. BRI is committed
to a safe, caring and diverse workplace; as well as to taking
action to further our commitments to foster inclusion, equity and
belonging so employees feel comfortable bringing their full selves
to work. Consider making a difference, join our team. Because
together, we are Powering Possibility. Visit BenaroyaResearch.org
or follow BRI's Autoimmune Life Blog, Facebook, Instagram,
LinkedIn or Twitter to learn more. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status. If you
need assistance completing the application process, please contact
Human Resources at 206-287-5646 or email
Keywords: Benaroya Research Institute, Seattle , Postbaccalaureate Research Associate, Other , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!