Managing Account Executive - Construction and Inland Marine
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Target Openings1Job Description SummaryUnder general direction,
responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned
book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall
business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting
responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal
business on accounts of moderate to high complexity within assigned
sub-territory/location(s). As a representative of the company,
market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers.
Working with Managing Director, implements business strategies to
effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned
sub-territory/location(s). Working with other business units as
appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeking
out cross-sell opportunities. In addition to managing a book of
business ranging up to the most complex accounts within an assigned
territory, manages a small group of Account Executives. May manage
remote employees. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business
to manage profitability. Staff management functions include, but
are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance
management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner.
The incumbent in this job is a manager.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility.Primary Job Duties &
ResponsibilitiesUnderwriting and Pricing:
- This position will also support Loss Sensitive Accounts.
- Underwrites primarily moderate to high complexity accounts and
risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize
profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits,
- In support of the business, uses good judgment in making
decisions within own underwriting authority and may provide input
on more complex accounts.
- Provides input into the development of regional business
- Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business
objectives for assigned location(s).
- Initiates collaborative discussions.Distribution and Agency
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and
maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent
with business unit appetite.Sales:
- With an increased level of independence, uses a consultative
marketing/ sales culture and successfully employs consultative
selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and
effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners
with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- May lead underwriting/agency meetings.
- May attend industry events.Negotiation:
- Negotiates without guidance.Executes Strategy and Drives
- Demonstrates leadership, with an increased level of
independence, by providing strategic direction and support to
- Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes a spirit
of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the
business.Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and
fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues.Leading
- In addition to leading self, effectively manages all facets of
staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber
people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds.
- Manages performance and provides honest, constructive
- Provides tangible rewards for significant achievements. Clearly
differentiates rewards for top performers.
- Participates in and accountable for the training of less
experienced Account Executives.
- Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource.
- Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- 4 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience
required.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred
- 4 years of AE/ underwriting experience required
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive
- Understands industry business operations and work methods,
critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the
region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance
marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's
advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is
routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches/
mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis.Product
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and
procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day
work activities. Regarded as a knowledge resource by team.
- Previous Construction underwriting experience
preferred.Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.Job
Specific Technical Skills & CompetenciesBusiness Perspective:
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the
property & casualty industry to make decisions.Analytical
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities,
analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand
issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores
alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense
management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive
relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve
- People Management: Effectively manages all facets of staff
performance in order to achieve business objectives.Employment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
Experience : 0
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Seattle , Managing Account Executive - Construction and Inland Marine, Professions , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!