Firmware / Electrical Engineering Director
Company: Product Creation Studio
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Product Creation Studio is an award-winning, fast-paced,
full-service product development firm located in Seattle's booming
South Lake Union tech center. We are searching for an exceptional
Electrical and Embedded Software Engineer Director to join our
dynamic and talented team. Our diverse group moves ideas from
sketch to reality with a wide range of clients. We are obsessed
with creating inspiring products that enhance people's lives for
consumer, research, industrial and medical applications and we have
fun doing it! This is a Director level position that is responsible
for the Firmware and Electrical Engineering team ensuring project
execution, development best practices, and driving the optimization
of processes and tools. The electrical and embedded software team
at PCS has a wide range of responsibilities throughout the product
development lifecycle, including requirements validation and
capture, task scoping, architecture, implementation, verification,
testing, and manufacturing support. You will collaborate with sales
and prospective clients to win new business, develop project plans,
and scope new development efforts. You will work collaboratively
with other team members and practice areas from mechanical
engineering, project management, industrial design, usability, UX
design, account management, and sales. Your team implements
electronics and software for execution on custom embedded
platforms. The team embedded software areas of technical expertise
include register level interfacing, RTOS integration, version
control systems and configuration management, unit test, C, C++
programming languages, Bluetooth and BLE, I2C, SPI, single wire and
multi-wire serial and parallel interfaces, IoT security
considerations, power management, low power considerations,
real-time coding, implementation on resource -constrained 8-bit
microcontrollers up to high performance memory rich 32-bit systems,
implementations with hardware timers, PWMs, ADCs, DACs, and IMUs.
The hardware team's areas of focus include digital/analog circuit
design and board layout of custom PCBAs, primary and secondary
battery circuits, AC power circuits, display interfaces, and custom
microcontroller and SOC controllers. The team also supports
regulatory testing related to FCC, CE and UL, and IEC 60601 medical
design safety. A segment of PCS projects are medical device
development projects that require PCS developed under an ISO 13485
component development process. You will assure compliance and
improve the efficiency of the PCS IEC 62304 compliant software
development process. Role Execution - Director/Department
- Develop aggressive but attainable project plans and scoping to
support new client engagements.
- Serve as the first point of contact within the team/department
for technical issues, design review signoff, etc.
- The first point of contact for other departments (including
account management) making inquiries about technical strategies or
- Work with Marketing and Sales to develop leads, proposals and
- Mentors practitioners for continued improvement
- Accountable for team thought leadership both internal and
- Enforces and enhances development best practices that include
architecture and API reviews, ensuring regular and timely design
and code reviews, setting up automated build processes (when
applicable), design for test and re-use, and ensuring efficient
development approaches for unit test, integration test, and
generation and execution of verification protocols.
- Enforce hardware development best practices including design
reviews, component library management, schematic and layout review
checklists, DFM, and DFT. Resource Management
- Works with Project Managers on resource availability and
- Identify technical support resources for prospect meetings,
proposals, and other marketing efforts
- Performance reviews
- Along with upper management, identify staffing needs and enact
changes where necessary (hiring, firing, and reviews)
- Interviews and hire resources
- Accountable for departmental mentorshipTeam communication
- Facilitates priorities and needs to PMs and practitioners
- Departmental point of contact to managementFinancial
- Accountable for meeting departmental productivity targets.
- Oversees purchase requests from PMs and practitioners
- Prioritize and communicate team needs that affect budget
- Manages Departmental budgets and planning Process
- Set team expectations for work process and procedures
- Drive departmental improvements
- Facilitate team training and expertise development
- Ensure that all of the above responsibilities are assigned and
accounted for either by themselves or by team leads Project
- Responsible for the quality of departmental Project Billable
- May take on Account Management roles for high-level client
needs Practitioner Responsibilities (Firmware or Electrical
- Supports system engineering or project manager roles on
- May act as a practitioner but should focus on enhancing and
enabling departmental practitioners.
- Has the skills and competency of the aforementioned
departmental practitioner Required Experience
- 3+ years hand-on design experience developing PCB level
electronics for commercial products.
- 3+ years hands-on development experience developing low-level,
real-time, embedded system software.
- 3+ years experience managing technical staff in a manager or
engineering lead role.
- Have taken two or more new products through all phases of
product development from concept to production on a multi
- Familiar with phased based, product development methodologies.
Proficient in developing structured, multi-phased project plans for
multiple discipline new product development projects.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer
Science, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of software best practices including design review,
source code control, build environments, and testing methodologies
including automated testing methods
- Experience with supporting regulatory compliance (FCC, UL, FDA,
- Able to comfortably read and understand circuit schematics and
take an active role in design reviews.
- Puts the Customer First: Has a relentless focus on the
customer. Understands what the customer wants and how to deliver
those needs best.
- Works Well with Others: Listens and communicates well with
others within and outside of Product Creation Studio. Creates a
team environment that is positive and productive.
- Promotes and fosters collaboration among team members..
- Leads Courageously: Takes personal responsibility to do the
right thing, and persists in times of challenge or uncertainty.
Adapts quickly to change and makes timely, thoughtful
- Achieves Results: Understands what drives overall business
success and is accountable to prioritize and deliver quality
results. Anticipates obstacles and takes action to prevent or
minimize their impact.
- Medical device development under design controls or development
under another regulated industry process.
- Familiarity with ISO 13485 and IEC 62306 process compliant
development processes on products requiring IEC 60601 safety
- Design experience for low power, handheld products
- Automated manufacturing test design experience, manufacturing
configuration management and process control
Keywords: Product Creation Studio, Seattle , Firmware / Electrical Engineering Director, Professions , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!