Diesel Mechanic - Navy, Coast Guard
Posted on: August 6, 2022
An Associate Field Service Tech (AFST) is responsible for
performing hands-on installation, commissioning, and service
(scheduled or unplanned) on diesel engines under direction by a
more senior service technician. The AFST shall maintain a
professional and positive attitude, perform quality workmanship,
and be responsive to customer needs.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate professional work skills in the repair, overhaul,
or commissioning of diesel engines on marine vessels or at customer
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision for daily
- May occasionally be assigned to shop duties such as general
machining, part inspections, assembly, testing, and warehouse.
- Perform work related tasks in strict accordance with company
product tech manuals.
- Complete on-the-job training (OJT) on at least one engine
product line and supporting systems within the first year in this
- Keep current on Engineering Change Orders, Field Service Change
Notices and Service Information Letters.
- Document work performed on Service Reports and record critical
- Operate in a safe manner in accordance with published safety
- Wear appropriate PPE as per company guidelines and in
accordance with job duties
- Adhere to Safety policy guidelines.
- Report all work related accidents or injuries immediately to
the appropriate personnel.
- Complete annual safety training requirements as outlined on
regional safety schedule.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting according to company
- Timecards, expense reports, mileage reports, project reports,
- Maintain company property according to company policies
- Vehicle, credit cards, PPE, test equipment, laptop, et al.
- Perform high quality workmanship
- Be responsive to customer needs and act as an ambassador of
- Strive to provide all customers a "first time fix" for their
- Maintain customer satisfaction rates according to company
- Complete all work in an efficient and timely manner
- Adhere to company dress code and safety regulations
- Maintain professional attitude and appearance.
All other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- HS Diploma or GED required; ASDT (Associate of Applied Science
Diesel Technology) preferred
- Three years military experience - navy engineman or equivalent
- Knowledge of diesel and spark gas engines, test equipment and
basic engine theory
- Basic understanding of gas compression and associated
- Must be able to read and interpret engine line diagrams and
- Basic foundation of pneumatic, PLC and electronic engine
- High mechanical aptitude
- Ability to independently interpret product tech manual to
troubleshoot engine problems
- Must be a reliable team player who exhibits a professional
- Knowledge of pneumatic, PLC, and electronic engine controls a
- Proficiency in English language (verbal and written)
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel (up to 75%) including weekends, evenings, and
holidays and in emergency situations travel on short notice
- This position requires access or potential access to
Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not
Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet
NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US
Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship.
Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth
Certificate or Naturalization Certificate
- Maintain valid driver's license and qualify for company credit
While performing duties of the above jobs, the associate is
regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or
feel objects, tools or other components; reach with hands and arms;
stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear and smell. The AFST
frequently is required to sit and climb or balance. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision, distant
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the
ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to regularly lift at
least 35 pounds.
This specification is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and
levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that
will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring
what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular
position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify
the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work
of employees under his/her supervision. Ability to competently
perform all the essential duties of the position, with or without
reasonable accommodation, demonstrated commitment to effective
customer service delivery, and the ability to work productively as
a member of a team or work group are basic requirements of all
Keywords: Confidential, Seattle , Diesel Mechanic - Navy, Coast Guard, Engineering , Seattle, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!